Lucia Aliberti (born 19 October 1962  in Messina) is a Sicilian soprano opera singer. She performed the bel canto roles of Bellini, Gioacchino Rossini, Donizetti, Giuseppe Verdi, Giacomo Puccini, Vivaldi, Mercadante, etc.
A dramatic soprano, Lucia Aliberti was awarded a diploma with full marks from the Conservatory while still very young. She then completed her studies in Rome with Maestro Luigi Ricci and continued the study with Alfredo Kraus. Musician and composer, while studying singing, she was also studying the piano and other musical instruments (guitar, accordion, violin, mandolin). She has composed many pieces for piano, clarinet, flute and singing.
A lyric-dramatic soprano with agility, Lucia Aliberti graduated very young at the Conservatory with honors. She studied with Luigi Ricci in Rome, Alfredo Kraus and Herbert von Karajan in Salzburg and Berlin. Lucia is considered one of the most complete artists of her generation.
Musician and composer, while singing, she has also studied the piano and other musical instruments like guitar, accordion, violin and mandolin. She has composed many pieces for piano, clarinet, flute, violin and voice. After winning the Spoleto and ENAL competitions, she began her artistic career with "La Sonnambula" by Bellini in Spoleto at the Festival dei Due Mondi under the direction of Giancarlo Menotti.
She has sung at the world's major Opera Houses: Royal Opera House London, Teatro alla Scala Milano, Metropolitan Opera New York, Washington Opera, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Bayerische Staatsoper Munich, Hamburg Staatsoper, Staatstheater Stuttgart, Semperoper Dresden, Theater Bonn, Staatsoper Hannover, Opera Koln, Vienna State Opera, Opernhaus Graz, Opera House Zurich, Grand Théâtre Genève, Opéra Lausanne, Bolshoi Moscow, Royal Opera Stockholm, Nederlandse Opera Amsterdam, Theatre de la Monnaie Brussels, Theatre Champs-Elysée Paris, Opéra Lille, Theatre Antique Vaison la Romaine, Vichy Opera House, Toulouse Opera House, Nancy Opera House, Saint-Etienne Opera House, Marseille Opera, Hungarian State Opera Budapest, Wielki Opera Narodowa Warsaw, Opera Rome, Teatro San Carlo Naples, Teatro Bellini Catania, Pesaro Festival, Teatro Real Madrid, Oviedo Opera, Bilbao Opera House, Valencia Opera, Festival Opera "Alejandro Granda" in Lima, Savonlinna Opera Festival Finland, Bunka Kaikan Theater Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Wexford Festival Opera, Glyndebourne Festival, Edinburgh Festival, Miami Opera House, Malta Manoel Theatre, Mozarteum Brasilero Trancoso Festival, Gdansk Festival, Festival European Weeks in Passau, Dubrovnik Summer Festival, Teatro Colon Buenos Aires, etc.
Lucia Aliberti has performed in major Concert Halls worldwide including: Grosses Festspielhaus Salzburg, KKL Lucerne, Concertgebow Amsterdam, Oslo Konserthus, Queen Elisabeth Hall London, Auditorium G. Verdi Milano, Auditorium Paul VI Audience Hall Sala Nervi Vatican City Rome, Alte Oper Frankfurt, Philharmonie Berlin, Konzerthaus Berlin, Gewandhaus Leipzig, Herkulessaal München, Philharmonie München, Köln Philharmonie, Laeiszhalle Hamburg, Glocke Bremen, Tonhalle Düsseldorf, Beethovenhalle Bonn, Meistersingerhalle Nuremberg, Lisinski Concert Hall Zagreb, Concert Hall Kiev, Belgrade Philharmonic, Rudolfinum Prague, Suntory Hall Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Seoul Arts Center, Cultural Centre Bangkok, Tivoli’s Concert Hall Copenhagen, Carnegie Hall New York, Monterey Concert Hall, Festspielhaus in Baden-Baden and Monte-Carlo Cathédrale, etc.
Lucia Aliberti was Guest Star of International Galas from UNESCO, UNICEF, UNITALSI, Charity Galas, various Events and Special Galas, Concerts for many International Personalities: Pope Wojtyła Johannes Paul II in the occasion of the "Jubilee of the world for families" at the Saint Peter’s Square in Vatican Rome, Concert for “The Immaculate” Auditorium Sala Nervi in Vatican City Rome, Queen Sirikit of Thailand in Bangkok, Prince Charles of England at the United Nations-Auditorium in Paris, for the Royal Family of Holland, Schloss Bellevue Berlin for President Horst Köhler, Prince Albert of Monaco at the Sporting Club Monte-Carlo, for the German Chancellors Helmut Kohl in Bonn and Gerhard Schröder in Berlin, for the Minister President Edmund Stoiber in Munich, Prince Hiro of Japan in Tokyo. Lucia Aliberti was also Guest Star of the "Fete Impériale" in the Horse Riding School in Vienna, ”Gala for Children” at Stephansdom with Wiener SangerKnaben in Vienna, for “Marianne Strauss-Stiftung” in Munich, for International Pressball in Berlin, Leipzig and Frankfurt Operaball, Guest Star in “Cinema for Peace” Berlin International Film Festival, Guest Star in “Diva Award” in Munich, at Manoel Theatre of Malta for the celebrations of the unification of Italy under the patronage of the President of the Italian Republic, also Guest Star in Special Galas for Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Fiat, Audi, Porsche, Formula 1 Grand Prix of Montecarlo, she was invited by President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov of Turkmenistan to open the Congress Centre in Ashgabat. She received the International Prizes: “Goldene Feder” in Hamburg, “Iso D’Oro” in Graz, “Premio Callas” in Milan.
Her natural vocal talents are enhanced by a technique which allows her to sustain even the most difficult parts in the "Belcanto" repertory. International critics have also underlined her particular stage presence and dramatic capabilities. She is considered a specialist in the repertory of Bellini (Norma, La Sonnambula, Il Pirata, I Puritani, I Capuleti e I Montecchi, Beatrice di Tenda, La Straniera). She also devoted intense study to some of the manuscripts of Bellini. The other most important composers in her repertory are Donizetti (Lucia di Lammermoor, Anna Bolena, Lucrezia Borgia, L' Elisir d'amore, Don Pasquale, Linda di Chamounix), Rossini (Semiramide, Tancredi, Stabat Mater), und Verdi (La Traviata, Rigoletto, Luisa Miller, I Due Foscari, Attila, Simone di Boccanegra, Un Giorno di Regno, Alzira, I Masnadieri, Aroldo, Stiffelio, I Lombardi, Giovanna D’Arco, Il Trovatore).
She is considered a specialist in the repertory of Vincenzo Bellini (she has also dedicated intense study to some of his manuscripts). The other most important composer in her repertory are Donizetti, Rossini and Verdi. Several operas of these composers have become her most successful roles:
- Lucia di Lammermoor (Lucia)
- Anna Bolena (Anna)
- Lucrezia Borgia (Lucrezia)
- Beatrice di Tenda (Beatrice)
- Maria Stuarda (Maria)
- Norma (Norma)
- La Sonnambula (Amina)
- I Puritani (Elvira)
- Il Pirata (Imogene)
- La Straniera (Alaide)
- I Capuleti e i Montecchi (Giulietta)
- Semiramide (Semiramide)
- La traviata (Violetta)
- Simon Boccanegra (Maria)
- Luisa Miller (Luisa)
- Rigoletto (Gilda)
Honors and awards
Lucia Aliberti has received two prestigious European Prizes: The "Goldene Feder" in Hamburg, the "Premio Callas" from the Association of Opera Friends of Milan, Iso D'Oro in Graz, Austria.
Recordings of complete operas
- Beatrice di Tenda (Beatrice), Martin Thompson (Orombello), Camille Capasso (Agnese), Paolo Gavenelli (Fillipo) - Chor und Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin - Fabio Luisi (conductor) - (Berlin Classics)
- Il Pirata (Imogene), Stuart Neill, Roberto Frontali, Kelly Anderson - Chor und Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin - Marcello Viotti (conductor) - (Berlin Classics)
- La Sonnambula (Amina), John Aler (Elvino), Francesco Ellero d'Artegna (Rodolfo), Iris Vermillion (Teresa), Jane Giering (Lisa), Friedrich Molsberger (Alessio), Warren Mok (Il Notario) - Chor und Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin - Jesús López-Cobos (conductor), live recording, February Deutsche Oper Berlin (BMG Classics)
- La Straniera (Alaide), Vincenzo Bello, Roberto Frontali, Sara Mingardo, Carlo Striuli - Orchestra del Teatro Verdi di Trieste - Gianfranco Masini (conductor) - (BMG Ricordi)
- La traviata (Violetta Valery), Peter Dvorský (Alfredo Germont), Renato Bruson (Giorgio Germont) - Fujiwara Opera Chorus and Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra - Roberto Paternostro (conductor), live recording, Tokyo (Capriccio/Delta Music)
- "Famous Opera Arias" - Münchner Rundfunkorchester - Lamberto Gardelli (conductor) - (Orfeo)
- "A Portrait" - Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie - Peter Feranec (conductor) - (RCA/BMG Classics)
- "Viva! Belcanto" - Orchestra Sinfonica Di Milano G. Verdi - Patrick Fournillier (conductor) - (RCA/BMG Classics)
- "Early Verdi Areas" - Orchestra Sinfonica e Coro Sinfonico di Milano Giuseppe Verdi - Oleg Caetani (conductor) - (Challenge Records)
- Lucia Aliberti - Live at Semperoper Dresden - DVD 88697 19045 9 / RCA Red Seal - SonyBMG