Mein Schiff 2
Mein Schiff 2 in Hamburg in May 2011
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany|
|Launched:||11 July 1997|
|Christened:||27 October 1997|
|Maiden voyage:||27 October 1997|
|Class and type:||Century-class cruise ship|
|Length:||866 ft (264 m)|
|Beam:||105.6 ft (32 m)|
|Draft:||25.5 ft (8 m)|
|Speed:||21.5 knots (39.8 km/h; 24.7 mph)|
Mein Schiff 2 (My Ship 2) (formerly MV Mercury and Celebrity Mercury) is the second of two Century-class cruise ships operated by TUI Cruises. Built for Celebrity Cruises at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany, she was launched on 11 July 1997, and was christened and entered service as MV Mercury on 27 October 1997.
In 2008, after some eleven years in operation as Mercury, she was renamed Celebrity Mercury. In 2011, she was transferred to the fleet of TUI Cruises, a joint venture between TUI AG and Celebrity Cruises' owner Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. At the same time, she was renamed Mein Schiff 2. Her sister ship Mein Schiff 1 is the former MV Galaxy, also previously operated by Celebrity Cruises.
In the summer of 2006, just prior to Mercury 's planned departure for an Alaska cruise, Seattle-based inspectors from the U.S. Coast Guard arrested the captain of the Mercury for intoxication. Celebrity Cruises arranged for a replacement, and fired the original captain.
During several cruises from Charleston, South Carolina to the eastern Caribbean in February 2010, the ship was struck with a major outbreak of norovirus, sickening nearly 500 people on board, out of a total of just over 1,800. According to Celebrity Cruises, those sickened were treated with over-the-counter medicine. Additionally, a doctor and two nurses joined the ship midway to assist with the outbreak.
In February 2011 Celebrity Mercury left Celebrity Cruises to be renovated by Imtech and join TUI Cruises' fleet as Mein Schiff 2, alongside Mein Schiff 1, her sister ship, the former Celebrity Galaxy.
- MS Mercury 1997
- "Periklis Petridis / Drunk Captain Celebrity Cruise Lines - Mercury". cruisebruise.com. May 19, 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- Sullivan, Jennifer (May 23, 2006). "Lawyer says ship captain arrested, fired over drinking was off duty". Seattle Times. Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- "Cruise ship back in U.S. after 435 get sick". CNN. 26 February 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- "2001-02-01". Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- Official Mein Schiff 2 page on tuicruises.com (German)
- Cruise Critic Review
- Recent pictures and menus of Celebrity Mercury
- Official Celebrity Mercury UK site
- 160 Pictures from the Mein Schiff 2
|This article about a specific cruise ship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|