Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||K. E. Gnanavel Raja|
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Edited by||V. J. Sabu Joseph|
Magamuni (transl. The Great Sage) is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language crime film written and directed by Santhakumar. The film stars Arya, in dual roles along with Indhuja Ravichandran, and Mahima Nambiar in the lead roles. Kaali Venkat, Jayaprakash, Ilavarasu, Rohini, and Aruldoss play supporting roles. S. Thaman scores music for the film and editing is handled by V. J. Sabu Joseph. Principal photography of the film commenced during November 2018. It was theatrically released on 6 September 2019 to highly positive reviews from both critics and audience.
The film travels back and forth between two characters. Magadevan (Arya) is a cab driver in Chennai and also a dirty job specialist for a politician and fixer named Muthuraj (Ilavarasu). Muniraj (Arya) is a Good Samaritan and organic farmer who believes in Swami Vivekananda's teachings and thinks the world of Tamil literature and lives in a village near Erode. It is made clear that Maga is an atheist while Muni practices yoga and spreads the word of Hinduism.
Maga thinks the world of his wife Viji (Indhuja Ravichandran), and five-year-old son. He is also trying to turn a new leaf and leave the world of crime. Muni is happy living with his loving mother (Rohini) and wants to be a "Nitya Brahmachari"(bachelor), and at the same time, impart knowledge to students. Deepa (Mahima Nambiar) is a journalism student, and the daughter of a local landlord named Jayaraman (Jayaprakash), who is in awe of the soft-spoken Muni.
Trouble erupts for Maga when one of Muthuraj's rivals tries to fix him in an earlier murder case, which was planned by him. Muthuraj, in order to save himself and his nephew, enters into connivance with the police and makes Maga the bad guy. At the same time, Jayaraman does not like his daughter moving around with Muni, a lower caste man, and wants to eliminate him.
- Arya as Magadevan and Muniraj
- Indhuja Ravichandran as Viji
- Mahima Nambiar as Deepa
- Kaali Venkat as Doctor
- Jayaprakash as Jayaraman
- Ilavarasu as Muthuraj
- Rohini as Muni's mother
- Aruldoss as Guru Narayanan
- Bala Singh
- Deepa Shankar
The film was announced by Santhakumar, who is known for his critically acclaimed Mouna Guru, which was released in 2011. The filming commenced on 14 November 2018, marking the director's second film in his career. The shooting held at a brisk pace and predominantly shot in Chennai, Kancheepuram and Erode. Filmmakers roped in actor Arya to play the male lead who was signed to portray the character of a politician's son.
Marketing and release
It was theatrically released on 6 September 2019. 
This soundtrack of the film is composed by S. S. Thaman on lyrics written by Kavignar A.Muthulingam and D.Krishnamoorthy.
|Soundtrack album by|
|1.||"Magamuni (Title Track)"||Kavingnar A. Muthulingam||Javed Ali|
|2.||"Maga vs Muni"||D. Krishnamoorthy||Kunal Ganjawala, KK|
|3.||"Kadavul"||Kavingnar A. Muthulingam||Rahul Nambiar, Shaan|
- "Arya's next will be with 'Mounaguru' director - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- RajKumar (14 November 2018). "Maga Muni Tamil Movie (2019) | Cast | Songs | Teaser | Trailer | Release Date". News Bugz. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Arya's next titled 'Magamuni', to be directed by Shanthakumar". Sify. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Arya's film Magamuni nears completion, here's some exciting details!". in.com. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (30 August 2019). "Magamuni gets a release date". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- Subramanian, Anupama (15 November 2018). "Arya is a 'Magamuni' now". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "'Mouna Guru'- fame Santhakumar ropes in Arya to star in his next film 'Magamuni' | Entertainment News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Magamuni - Official Teaser - Arya - Santhakumar - Mahima Nambiar, Indhuja - S S Thaman". YouTube. Studio Green. 16 May 2019.