Map of Sulu with Maimbung highlighted
|Region||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
|District||1st district of Sulu|
|• Mayor||Samier Tan|
|• Total||77.50 km2 (29.92 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||490/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)68|
|Income class||5th municipal income class|
|Electorate||24,748 voters as of 2016|
Maimbung is a fifth class municipality in the province of Sulu, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 37,914 people. It is the official capital of the Sultanate of Sulu.
Contemporary Royal Capital
The town has been cited by the late self-proclaimed Sultan Jamalul Kiram III of the Sultanate of Sulu as the capital of the sultanate, and the place where he wished he was buried after death. The late sultan died in 2013 and was buried in the town afterwards. The town hosts a school named after the late sultan.
Maimbung is politically subdivided into 27 barangays.
- Anak Jati
- Bato Ugis
- Bualo Lahi
- Bualo Lipid
- Duhol Kabbon
- Lagasan Asibih
- Laud Kulasi
- Laum Maimbung
- Lower Tambaking
- Poblacion (Maimbung)
- Ratag Limbon
- Tandu Patong
- Upper Tambaking
|Population census of Maimbung|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "ARMM - Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 11 November 2011.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- CHR to exhume bodies of ‘Maimbung massacre victims'
|This article about a location in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|