Official film poster
|Directed by||A. Venkatesh|
|Screenplay by||A. Venkatesh|
|Story by||A. Venkatesh|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
Feather Touch Entertainments
|Distributed by||Feather Touch Entertainments|
Malai Malai is a 2009 Tamil language action comedy film written and directed by A. Venkatesh starring Arun Vijay, Prabhu and Vedhicka in the lead roles. The film released on 31 July 2009 and turned out to be a surprise hit at the box office. The film has also been dubbed into Hindi as Champion - The Winner.
Palanivel (Prabhu) and Vetrivel (Arun Vijay) are two brothers who eke out a living as a farmer and a minivan driver respectively in a village on the foothills of Palani temple. They are inseparable, and they fight, sing, and booze together, and when Vetri falls in love with a city based RJ Anjali (Vedhika) who is on a visit to Palani, he finds another girl Lakshmi (Kasthuri) to romance his brother.
Meanwhile, the village simpleton Vetri goes to Chennai in search of a job and in search of his lady love. He gets a job as a driver in a courier company, which also employs people like Vimala Hassan (Santhanam), a crazy fan of Kamal Hassan. Enters the villain Essakki (Prakash Raj) a dreaded don who controls Saidapet area of the city, and soon locks horns with Vetri. The rest of the story moves along predictable lines before the steamy sentimental action-packed climax. Finally, Lakshmi gets stabbed by Esakki.
- Arun Vijay as Vetrivel
- Prabhu as Palanivel
- Vedhika as Anjali
- Prakash Raj as Essaki
- Kasthuri as Lakshmi
- Santhanam as Vimala Haasan
- Ganja Karuppu as Karuppu
- Vijayakumar as Assistant Commissioner of Police
- Mayilsamy as an Sketch Artist
- Aarthi as Arundathi
- Lollu Sabha Manohar
- Kadhal Thandapani
- S. N. Lakshmi
Pooja Umashankar walked out of the film due to the film's long delay to start. instead Vedhika was selected. Kasthuri was selected to play an important role making her comeback to Tamil cinema.
Actor Arun Vijay and the cinematographers were arrested by the Thai army when the shoot was on for this film at Ko Man Islands near Pattaya City, It was only when the location manager and the producer explained the story to concerned officials that those arrested were released, The shooting came to a halt until the crew were released. The shooting of the film took place in Langavi Islands in Malaysia. Arun Vijay, Choreographer and Vedhika went as a team to the island for shooting. The shooting took place for a long time and by the time crew left it became dark and they missed the way and stranded in the mid sea for more than 2 hours but luckily they were saved. Set of the temple town Palani has been erected at Sriperambadhur for shooting of the film, Since the story of the film happens in Palani, set of the temple including market place, shops and streets have been erected in Sriperambadhur for 50 lakhs. A fight sequence featuring Arun Vijay clashing with the villains has been shot under the guidance of the stunt master Kanal Kannan. Scenes featuring Vedhika is also being shot here. Four cameras are being used for the shooting at this spot. Mumtaj was said to be appearing in an item number which proved false. During the shooting, the makers did a charity work to underprivileged rural areas. These donations have been used to provide adequate number of Ambulance facility to the villages of Ramanadhapuram, Pattukottai, Dindugal. Shooting for the climax has been on at Binny Mills and whilst acting out a stunt sequence involving jumping over the camera, Arun Vijay hurt his rib cage and arm. Luckily, the injuries weren't major and the actor went about shooting the scenes after rest for a couple of hours.
|Soundtrack album by Mani Sharma|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
- Anbumanam - Karthik, Reeta
- Nee Hello - Jyotsna
- O Maare - Ranjith, Saindhavi
- Othaikku Othaiyai - Naveen, Rahul Nambiar
- Pooparikka - Karthik, Swetha
Kollywood today wrote: "There’s nothing exceptional you will be witnessing with Malai Malai". Oneindia wrote: "Director Venkatesh uses all his usual techniques to entertain the viewers. The techniques he has applied may be old but guaranteed for a 2 hours 30 minutes entertainment. Arun Vijay has successfully broken all the odds in the film Malai Malai and become a complete hero in this film through his good performance and heroine Vedhika also perform well in the sleek action masala. ". Sify wrote: "a typical mass masala movie with all essential ingredients". Nowrunning wrote: "Malai Malai an out-and-out Arun Vijay movie and Vedhika is apt for the role". Behindwoods wrote: "Scenes and narration are the same old run-of-the-mill types but for Prabhu’s and Prakash Raj’s friendship. Director had attempted to give something different but his efforts fall flat".
The success of Malai Malai, prompted the producers of his long-delayed film Thunichal to use his newfound publicity to launch their own film. Arun Vijay, worried that the move could hamper his new-found image at the box office, lodged a complaint with the Nadigar Sangam, alleging that the producers of Thunichal were attempting to release the film without his voice. Soon after, he retracted his statements and refuted that the film would not damage his reputation.
- "Pooja, Sneha - Behindwoods.com - Arun Vijay Malai Malai Ram Dharmalingam's Bhramadeva Vijay Park Vaijayanthi IPS Bhavani Jaggubai Australia Mambatiyan Thyagarajan Theni Kambam Vadivelu wallpaper stills image gallery Tamil Movie Gallery Tamil Movie Stills". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "The New Indian Express". Expressbuzz.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Vedhika turns radio jockey - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2009-01-19. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Arun Vijay arrested in Thailand". Kollywood Today. 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Vedhika loses her way in the sea". Kollywood Today. 2009-01-18. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Palani set in Sriperambadhur for the film Malai Malai". Kollywood Today. 2009-02-16. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Pazhani in Sriperumbudur - Behindwoods.com - Tamil Movies News - Venkatesh Malai Malai Arun Vijay". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Mumtaz dubs for Rajathi Raja and also does an item number for Malai Malai". Kollywood Today. 2009-03-22. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "'Malai Malai' out with a charity - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2009-07-16. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Arun Vijay's resilience in 'Malai Malai' - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2009-04-08. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Surya launches Malai Malai audio". Kollywood Today. 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Events - 'Malai Malai' 100 Days Function". IndiaGlitz. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Behind the success of 'Malai Malai' | CineBuzz - Movies". ChennaiOnline. 2009-09-03. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Review – Malai Malai". Kollywood Today. 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Super Admin (2009-08-01). "Malai Malai - Review". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Movie Review:Malai Malai". Sify.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Malai Malai Review - Tamil Movie Review by Aravindan". Nowrunning.com. 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Malai Malai - Tamil Movie Reviews - Malai Malai Arun Vijay Vedhika Prakash Raj Prabhu Vijay Kumar Santhanam". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Action against film's release - Tamil Movie News - Arun Vijay | Nadigar Sangam | Thunichal". Behindwoods.com. 2009-12-29. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Arun Vijay's 'Thunichal' in - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2009-12-28. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Arun Vijay in stylish action Thriller movie|Maanja Velu Film|Movies". Movies.sulekha.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.