|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Guarulhos, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Genres||Comedy rock, Avant-garde metal|
Mamonas Assassinas was a satirical Brazilian rock band. Their lyrics, music and live performances were as famous as their tragic end: on March 2, 1996, the plane in which they were flying, crashed into the Cantareira mountain range, near São Paulo, causing the death of all the band members.
The band's name carries a double-entendre as, in Portuguese mamonas can be either the name of the Castor oil plant, which contains the highly toxic comount ricin (their logo incorporated a castor bean) or the augmentative for mamas, meaning breasts (which were prominently pictured on the album cover). The band mentioned model Mari Alexandre as an influence to the name, and even translated the name into English as "Killer Big Breasts".
The musical style of Mamonas Assassinas members employed a humorous mixture between rock and a wide range of styles. They often borrowed elements from other music, among which were the main riff of the Portuguese Vira ("Vira-Vira"), Northeastern Brazilian rhythms like forró ("Jumento Celestino"), Mexican music ("Pelados em Santos"), heavy metal ("Débil Metal"), sertanejo ("Bois Don't Cry"), and even pagode ("Lá Vem o Alemão"). This combination can be easily checked at their videos, where various references to many cultures were found.
Early years and major era
The band started its activities in 1989 without Dinho, in a band called Utopia, performing covers of Legião Urbana and Rush. Soon Dinho was incorporated, and Utopia performed in the suburbs of São Paulo. They even did release an album, but it sold less than 100 copies. Just as the band noticed the comedical intromissions and songs on their concerts were better accepted than the serious performances, the band decided to fully embrace the comedy on their music, including a change to a double entendre name. Their first demo reached Rafael, son of the artistic director of EMI-Odeon, João Augusto Soares. João Augusto hired the band afterwards
The plane crash
The band's successful 8-month career came to an end along with all band members' lives on March 2, 1996, due to a plane crash. After a show in Brasília, the band was flying to São Paulo-Guarulhos International Airport, in Guarulhos. The aircraft was a Learjet 25. The jet was on final approach to land on the runway 09R, but went-around. As it flew around the runway for a second attempt to land, it crashed into the Cantareira mountain range, at 23:16.
After the disaster
After the band's sudden end, their label released one live album and one posthumous album. They continued to be very famous in Brazil, and kept being influential to the culture. They were, for instance, parodied several times by the humorous site Charges.com.br.
- 1996: MTV na Estrada (MTV on the Road) (re-released in DVD in 2004)
- 2002: Show Ao Vivo em Valinhos 1996 (Live in Valinhos)
- 2008: Por Toda Minha Vida - Mamonas Assassinas (Exhibited in TV Globo)
- 2011: Mamonas para sempre (Documentary)
- Alecsander Alves (known as Dinho) - vocals
- Alberto Hinoto (Bento Hinoto) - guitar
- Samuel Reis de Oliveira (Samuel Reoli; "Reoli" is a contraction of the last names Reis and Oliveira) - bass guitar
- Júlio César Barbosa (Júlio Rasec; Rasec is "César" spelled backwards) - keyboards, backing vocals
- Sérgio Reis de Oliveira (Sérgio Reoli; Samuel's older brother) - drums
|1992||A Fórmula do Fenômeno, as Utopia
|1998||Atenção, Creuzebek: A Baixaria Continua (1998, posthumous album)
|1998||Mamonas Ao Vivo (2006, posthumous album)
|1995||"Pelados em Santos"||Mamonas Assassinas|
|"Robocop Gay"||Mamonas Assassinas|
- "Mamonas Assassinas". Por Toda a Minha Vida. 2008-07-10. Rede Globo.
- Mamonas Assassinas profile at CliqueMusic
- "Acidentes Aéreos - Mamonas Assassinas" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- Charges.com.br - Indecisos - Bois Don't Cry
- Charges.com.br - Elias - Lá Vem o Alemão
- Charges.com.br - Português canta Vira, vira
- Charges.com.br - Telespectador do BBB e da Casa - Vira-Vira
- Charges.com.br - Marombeira canta - Robocop Gay
- Charges.com.br Cariocas cantam - Sábado de Sol
- pt:MTV na Estrada (Mamonas Assassinas)[better source needed]
- pt:Por Toda a Minha Vida#Mamonas Assassinas[better source needed]