Tyler celebrating a touchdown against Washington in 2010
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||September 27, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Yorba Linda, California|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||226 lb (103 kg)|
|High school:||Westlake Village (CA) Oaks Christian|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Marc Tyler (born September 27, 1988) is an American football running back. He was originally signed as undrafted free agent by the Green Bay Packers of the National Football league. Tyler played college football at the University of Southern California.
High school career
Tyler attended Oaks Christian High School in Westlake Village, California, while his family lived in Palmdale. He stayed with the family of a teammate. In his senior season, Tyler scored 31 touchdowns and averaged 12.2 yards per carry. Tyler broke his left leg during a playoff game in November 2006; as a result, he had a stainless steel rod surgically implanted in his leg.
Despite the injury, Tyler remained a 5-star recruit and was ranked as the 2nd best running back prospect in the U.S. behind fellow USC recruit Joe McKnight, and the 17th best overall. At Oaks Christian High School, Tyler played alongside quarterback Jimmy Clausen, the nation's #1 rated recruit overall.
Tyler enrolled at University of Southern California in August 2007. After redshirting the 2007 season while recovering from a broken leg that he suffered in his senior season at Oaks Christian HS, he was expected to play in 2008. In the season opener at Virginia, Tyler scored the first touchdown of his collegiate career with 02:33 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. In April 2011, Tyler was involved in two off the field incidents. He allegedly spit on a female student while intoxicated and in another incident he allegedly inappropriately touched another female student at a bar near campus. On July 18, 2011, Tyler was suspended for the season opener against Minnesota for making inappropriate comments to the media.
Tyler went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft. He later got picked up by the Green Bay Packers on April 28, 2012. He was released during final cuts on August 31 but was signed to the practice squad a few days later. Tyler was released from the Packers' practice squad on September 12, 2012.
Awards and honors
Marc Tyler's father, Wendell Tyler, was a running back at UCLA (1973–76), who led the Bruins in rushing in 1975, and later became a Pro Bowl running back for the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers of the NFL.
- Eric Sondheimer, USC-bound Tyler tests his leg, Los Angeles Times, May 15, 2007.
- Rivals.com running backs 2007, Rivals.com
- Rivals.com Rivals100 2007, Rivals.com
- Carden, Kevin (2008-08-01). "Looking for his Shot". SCPlaybook.com.
- USC's Marc Tyler awaits possible disciplinary measures
- Tom Fornelli, USC suspends Marc Tyler for at least one game, CBSSports.com, July 18, 2011
- "Packers cuts are in, including QB Coleman". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- "Packers keep only seven offensive linemen". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- "Packers return CB Ross to practice squad, cut RB Tyler". Green Bay Press Gazette.
- "2007 USA Today All-America First Team".
- "Parade All-America Football Team - 2007 Roster".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Marc Tyler.|