In 1954, while a dental assistant, Eskens won a Polydor Records talent competition with the song "Moulin Rouge". A contract with Polydor followed, and in 1955 she had her first hit in Germany with "Ich möchte heut ausgehn". In 1956 and 1957 she had two #1 hits, "Tiritomba" (which sold over 800,000 copies) and "Cindy oh Cindy", which was her biggest hit, which stayed for 25 weeks in the German Singles Top 10. Several duets with Silvio Francesco, the brother of Caterina Valente, also ensued.
Eskens collaborated with producer/songwriter Kurt Feltz until 1961. She participated in the Deutscher Schlager-Festspiele in 1962, winning third place behind Conny Froboess and Siw Malmkvist. In 1966, she represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest and won tenth place.
She has sold 40 million records since 1956.
At the end of the 1980s she began to record more traditional "Schlagermusik" like her album Mein Traumland am Wörthersee (1990).
Hits that reached the German Top 20
- Ich möcht heut ausgehn, 1955, #3
- Tiritomba, 1956, #1
- Mamatschi, 1956, #9
- Cindy oh Cindy, 1957, #1
- Calypso Italiano, 1957, #9 (with Silvio Francesco)
- Wenn du wieder mal auf Cuba bist, 1957, #12 (with Silvio Francesco)
- Wenn du wiederkommst, 1958, #11 (with Silviio Francesco)
- Himmelblaue Serenade, 1958, #8 (with Silvio Francesco)
- Du bist mir lieber als die andern, 1959, #12 (with Silvio Francesco)
- Mondschein-Partie, 1959, #5 (with Silvio Francesco)
- Wenn du heimkommst, 1961, #18
- Ein Herz, das kann man nicht kaufen, 1962, #19
- Mama, 1964, #8
- Polydor 841 324-2
- Caterina Valente's hit The Breeze And I (Andalucia) reached the Top 10 the USA in 1955; Joel Whitburn: Top Pop Singles 1955-1993. Menomonee Falls, Wisc.: Record Research Inc., 1994, p. 620
- Frank Laufenberg / Ingrid Hake: Rock- und Pop-Lexikon. Vol. 1: ABBA - Kay Kyser. Düsseldorf and Wien: ECON, 1994, p. 471
- Günther Ehnert (ed.): Hit Bilanz. Deutsche Chart Singles 1956-1980. Hamburg: Taurus Press, 1990, p. 70
- Auf Wiedersehen (1961)
with Paradies, wo bist du?
| Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest