Mary Jackson (actress)
|Born||November 22, 1910
Milford, Michigan, U.S.
|Died||December 10, 2005 (aged 95)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Mary Jackson (November 22, 1910—December 10, 2005) was an American character actress whose nearly fifty-year career began in 1950 and was spent almost entirely on television. She is best known for the role of the lovelorn Emily Baldwin in The Waltons and was the original choice to play Alice Horton in the long-running daytime soap Days of Our Lives. She in fact played the part in the unaired pilot although the role was subsequently taken by Frances Reid.
She returned to college, enrolling in Michigan State University's fine arts program and, subsequently, began her performing career on Chicago stage, in summer stock and, at the start of the period referenced as the Golden Age of Television, in New York City and, as the 1960s began, in Hollywood.
Mary Jackson was survived by her husband of 68 years, Griffin Bancroft Jr., to whom she was married from July 4, 1937 until her death, in Los Angeles, from Parkinson's disease, two-and-a-half weeks just after her 95th birthday.
Always close to her Michigan roots, Jackson was a charter member of the Milford Historical Society. Jackson was instrumental in 1988 in raising money to rebuild the Oak Grove Cemetery Bridge over the Huron River - a bridge that connected the Village of Milford to its oldest burial grounds. Jackson was buried at Oak Grove Cemetery, in her hometown of Milford, Michigan.
- The Philco Television Playhouse (1952) as Aunt Edna
- Robert Montgomery Presents (1955-1956) as Mrs. Gross
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1956) as Mrs. Wilson
- General Electric Theater (1960) as Phyllis Barton
- The Barbara Stanwyck Show (1960) as Mrs. Krieger
- Route 66 (1961) as Judge Mary Lindstrom
- Hazel (1961) as Flora Duncan
- My Three Sons (1961-1962) as Irene / Selena Bailey
- Stoney Burke (1962) as Mrs. Carrol
- The Twilight Zone (Episode: "Of Late I Think of Cliffordville") as Miss Pepper
- The Andy Griffith Show (1964-1966) as Miss Vogel / Mrs. Parnell Rigsby
- The Outer Limits (1964) as Mrs. McCrae
- The Fugitive (1964-1966) as Carolyn Fletcher / Nurse Oberhansly / Ellie Parker
- Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1965) as Mrs. MacIntyre
- The F.B.I. (1965-1972) as Ruth Mason / Nurse / Mrs. Dreiser / Mrs. Corman / Mrs. Howard / Mrs. Otto Foshay
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night (1967) as Mrs. Stone
- Insight (1967)
- The Second Hundred Years (1967) as Mother Superior
- The Invaders (1967-1968) as Hattie Willis / Nurse
- Targets (1968) as Charlotte Thompson
- Lancer (1969) as Harpy / Maude Bigelow
- Airport (1970) as Sister Felice
- Mary Tyler Moore (1971) as Mrs. Arnell
- The Name of the Game (1971) as Jaimie White
- Wild Rovers (1971) as Sada's Mother
- Cannon (1971) as Mrs. Wells
- The Failing of Raymond (1971) as Latin Teacher
- Return to Peyton Place (1972) as Nell Abernathy (1973-1974)
- The Trial of the Catonsville Nine (1972) as Witness
- The Waltons (1972-1981) as Emily Baldwin
- Kid Blue (1973) as Mrs. Evans
- Blume in Love (1973) as Louise
- Barnaby Jones (1973-1977) as Mary Jackson / Hilda Forbes / Karen's Landlady
- Our Time (1974) as Miss Moran
- The Rookies (1974) as Mrs. Callender / Woman
- Fun with Dick and Jane (1977) as Jane's Mother
- Audrey Rose (1977) as Mother Veronica
- The Bionic Woman (1977) as Martha
- Coming Home (1978) as Fleta Wilson
- Letters from Frank (1979) as Edna Miller
- The Rockford Files (1979) as Postal Supervisor
- A Small Killing (1981) as Rose
- Hart to Hart (1981) as Phony Grandma
- A Wedding on Walton's Mountain (1982) as Emily Baldwin
- Quincy The Flight of the Nightingale played-Mrs. Shanley (1982) as Mrs. Shanley
- Between Two Brothers (1982) as Eddy Frazer
- Some Kind of Hero (1982) as Frances
- A Day for Thanks on Walton's Mountain (1982) as Emily Baldwin
- Family Ties (1982) as Edna
- Magnum, P.I. (1983) as Grandmother MacKenzie
- Hardcastle and McCormick (1983) as Sarah Wicks
- The Snow Queen (1985) as Grandmother
- Space (1985) as Frankie
- Scarecrow and Mrs. King (1985-1986) as Lois Mendelson
- The Jeffersons (1985) as Mrs. Donahue
- My Town (1986) as Mrs. McDaniel
- Highway to Heaven (1986) as Rose
- Hill Street Blues (1987)
- Hunter (1987) as Clara
- Big Top Pee-wee (1988) as Mrs. Dill
- L.A. Law (1989) as Mrs. Weedon
- Parenthood (1990-1991) as Great Grandma Greenwell
- Skinned Alive (1990) as Crawldaddy
- The Exorcist III (1990) as Mrs. Clelia
- Criminal Behavior (1992) as Mrs. Cline
- Leap of Faith (1992) as Emma Schlarp
- A Walton Thanksgiving Reunion (1993) as Emily Baldwin
- Christy (1994) as Aunt Polly Teague
- A Walton Wedding (1995) as Emily Baldwin
- Ozone (1995) as Cleaning Lady
- A Family Thing (1996) as Carrie
- A Walton Easter (1997) as Emily Baldwin (final film role)
- "Waltons Actress Dies at 95", mg.co.za, 20 December 2005.
- Rossiter, Joe. "Mary Jackson: 'Waltons' Actress Kept Milford Close", Detroit Free Press, December 14, 2005, page B5.
- Donaldson, Stan. "Actress Wills Pair of Old Homes to Her Hometown", Detroit Free Press, October 2, 2006, page B1.
- "Mary Jackson, Milford: Actress played Miss Emily in 'The Waltons' TV series", The Detroit News, December 14, 2005.
- "Mary Jackson, 95, Actress Known for Her Role on 'The Waltons'", Los Angeles Times, December 15, 2005, p. B11
- "Mary Jackson Character Actress", The Washington Post, December 22, 2005, page B08.
- "Waltons Star Dies Aged 95", ContactMusic.com, December 16, 2005.