|Elevation||10 ft (3.0 m)|
|Area||4.0 sq mi (10.4 km2)|
|- land||4.0 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||506.1/sq mi (195.4/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
Mathews is a census-designated place (CDP) on Bayou Lafourche in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 2,209 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Houma–Bayou Cane–Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area.
On August 20, 2007, school paraprofessional Amy Hebert fatally stabbed her children, Camille Catherine Hebert, age 9; and Braxton John Hebert, age 7; and the family dog. She was sentenced to life in prison.
Mathews is located at (29.683825, -90.550470).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.0 square miles (10.3 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,003 people, 726 households, and 569 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 506.1 people per square mile (195.3/km²). There were 747 housing units at an average density of 188.8 per square mile (72.8/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.56% White, 1.50% African American, 0.85% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.70% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.55% of the population.
There were 726 households out of which 38.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.0% were married couples living together, 8.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.5% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.10.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 25.9% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.9 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $40,977, and the median income for a family was $41,683. Males had a median income of $35,958 versus $20,574 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,336. About 6.3% of families and 7.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.4% of those under age 18 and 15.1% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
The Lafourche Parish Mathews Government Complex is in Mathews.
It is within the Lafourche Parish School District.
Residents east of Highway 308 south of 4839 Highway 308 (Matthews Baptist Church) and residents west of Highway 1 south of 4901 Highway 1 are zoned to Lockport Lower Elementary School, Lockport Upper Elementary School, and Lockport Middle School in Lockport. Other residents are zoned to Raceland Lower Elementary School, Raceland Upper Elementary School, and Raceland Middle School in Raceland.
Central Lafourche High School is in the town.
- Ruffin, Sophia (2009-06-24). "Mom sentenced to 2 life terms". Houma Times. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- DeSantis, John; Raymond Legendre (2007-08-22). "Community reeling over youngsters' brutal slaying". Houma Today. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "REGULAR SESSION PUBLIC NOTICE L A F O U R C H E P A R I S H C O U N C I L GOVERNING AUTHORITY MEETING NOTICE AND AGENDA." Lafourche Parish. December 13, 2011. Retrieved on March 11, 2017. "Mathews Government Complex, 4876 Highway 1, Mathews, Louisiana 70375"
- "Mathews." U.S. Postal Service. Retrieved on March 12, 2017. "4884 HIGHWAY 1 STE 4 MATHEWS, LA 70375-9998"
- "SCHOOL ATTENDANCE BOUNDARIES Archived 2016-12-02 at the Wayback Machine.." Lafourche Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on December 2, 2016. Based on the text description of the school boundaries