|No. 8 – Los Angeles Rams|
|Born:||March 15, 1994|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||232 lb (105 kg)|
|High school:||Orem (UT)|
|NFL Draft:||2019 / Round: 5 / Pick: 145|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2020|
|Player stats at NFL.com|
In 2017, Gay was a consensus All-American. He also won the 2017 Lou Groza Award, being the first Ute to win the award as well as being the school's second ever finalist. Gay also won the 2017 Vlade Award. That season, he led the nation in field goals and set a new Pac-12 Conference record with 30 field goals.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Gay was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fifth round, 145th overall, of the 2019 NFL Draft. Gay made his professional debut in the Buccaneers' regular season opener against the San Francisco 49ers. He converted two extra points and one field goal in the loss. On September 22, 2019, against the New York Giants, Gay missed two field goals, one extra point, and had an extra point blocked.
Los Angeles Rams
On November 17, 2020, Gay was signed off the Colts' practice squad by the Los Angeles Rams to replace injured kicker Kai Forbath. In Week 11 against his former team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Monday Night Football, Gay was a perfect 3 for 3 on extra point attempts and made 2 of his 3 field goal attempts, including the game winner late in the fourth quarter, during the 27–24 win.
NFL career statistics
Bold signifies career high.
Buccaneers franchise records
- Longest field goal by a rookie kicker - 58 yards (September 29, 2019 vs Los Angeles Rams)
- Most successful field goal attempts by a rookie kicker - 27 (tied with Martin Gramatica)
- Most successful extra point attempts by a rookie kicker - 43
- Most points scored by a rookie kicker - 124
- Worthy, Lynn (December 13, 2017). "Matt Gay set to become Utes' seventh consensus all-America selection". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- Facer, Dirk (December 7, 2017). "Utah's Matt Gay wins Lou Groza Award". Deseret News. Deseret News Publishing Company. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- Decker, Ryan (December 26, 2017). "Bowl Preview: WVU, Utah Battle in Heart of Dallas". West Virginia Illustrated. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- Frye, Sean (December 26, 2017). "Utah kicker Matt Gay breaks Pac-12 record for field goals made in a season". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Cox Enterprises. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- Sessler, Marc (April 27, 2019). "Buccaneers select kicker Matt Gay in fifth round". National Football League. Retrieved September 19, 2019.
- "San Francisco 49ers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers - September 8th, 2019". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 1, 2019.
- "New York Giants at Tampa Bay Buccaneers - September 22nd, 2019". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved October 1, 2019.
- Smith, Scott (September 5, 2020). "Matt Gay, A.Q. Shipley Among Cuts to Get to 53". Buccaneers.com.
- "Practice Squad Moves: Colts Sign K Matt Gay; Release DE Gerri Green". Colts.com. September 15, 2020.
- "Practice Squad Moves: Colts Bring Back RB Darius Jackson; Release K Matt Gay". Colts.com. November 6, 2020. Retrieved December 7, 2020.
- "Colts Activate LB Matthew Adams From IR; Elevate WRs Daurice Fountain & DeMichael Harris To Active Roster; Place WR Ashton Dulin On IR". Colts.com. November 7, 2020. Retrieved December 7, 2020.
- Jackson, Stu (November 17, 2020). "Rams sign kicker Matt Gay, place three players on IR". TheRams.com. Retrieved December 24, 2020.
- "Los Angeles Rams at Tampa Bay Buccaneers - November 23rd, 2020". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved November 28, 2020.
- Genessy, Jody (December 19, 2017). "Angel in the uprights: Utah kicker Matt Gay draws inspiration from friend who died". Deseret News. Deseret News Publishing Company. Retrieved September 19, 2019.