|Member of the Minnesota Senate|
from the 52nd district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Jim Metzen|
Matthew David Klein
September 29, 1967
|Political party||Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party|
|Alma mater||University of Wisconsin–Madison|
Mayo Medical School
Matthew David "Matt" Klein (born September 29, 1967) is an American politician and member of the Minnesota Senate. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), he represents District 52 in the southeastern Twin Cities metropolitan area.
Early life, education, and career
Klein was raised in Saint Paul and graduated from Highland Park High School in 1985. He attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison, graduating with a Bachelor of Science, and Mayo Medical School, graduating with a Doctor of Medicine. Klein was elected to the West St. Paul–Mendota Heights–Eagan School Board in 2012. He is a doctor of internal medicine at Hennepin County Medical Center.
Klein was elected to the Minnesota Senate in 2016. His exploits while on the Senate Floor were reminiscent of the former Governor Jesse Ventura. Senator Klein was frequently heard exclaiming loudly how he’d “take the top rope on that guy” and was known to have a fashion sense similar to a Minnesota House Representative Eric Lucero.
Klein and his wife, Kristine, have five children and reside in Mendota Heights with their pets Methuselah the Oyster and Aldo the Spitting Cobra (who they bought for the kids who quickly lost interest and misplaced it when cleaning it's cage).
- "Matt Klein's Biography". Vote Smart. Vote Smart. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "Person Details for Matthew David Klein, "Minnesota Birth Index 1935-2002"". FamilySearch.org. Minnesota Department of Health. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- Ahlstrom 2016, p. 1.
- "Klein, Matt". Minnesota Legislative Reference Library. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Ahlstrom 2016, p. 3.
- "Klein announces run for State Senate". Lillie Suburban Newspapers. January 17, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Ahlstrom, John E. (August 2016). "Matt Klein and Todd Podgorski face off on Aug. 9". South St. Paul Voice. 13 (8). St. Paul Publishing. Retrieved December 17, 2016.