|No. 20 Toronto Argonauts|
Webster before a Toronto Argonauts game in 2018.
April 25, 1992|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Western Canada|
|CFL draft||2014 / Round: 5 / Pick: 39|
|Drafted by||Saskatchewan Roughriders|
Matt Webster (born April 25, 1992) is a professional Canadian football defensive back for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He has originally drafted in the fifth round of the 2014 CFL Draft by the Saskatchewan Roughriders and played with the team for three seasons. He won his first Grey Cup championship as a member of the Argonauts in 2017. He played CIS football for the Queen's Gaels.
Webster played high school football for the Western Canada Redhawks. From 2010 to 2013, he played college football for the Queen's Golden Gaels. In Week 4 of his senior year at Queen's, Webster suffered a season-ending broken collarbone. Prior to his injury, Webster had recorded 16.5 defensive tackles and two interceptions in the 2013 season.
Webster was picked in the fifth round of the 2014 CFL Draft by the Saskatchewan Roughriders with the 39th overall pick. He was released from the team near the end of training camp, but was later added to the practice squad. Webster went on to play in eight games in his rookie season as a result of injuries to other players. He recorded two tackles and eight special teams tackles in 2014. Webster played in all 18 games in 2015, and made his first professional start on September 6, 2015 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Following the 2015 season, Webster re-signed with the Roughriders on December 21, 2015. He played in 11 games for the Roughriders in 2016, recording two defensive tackles and eight special teams tackles.
On February 17, 2017, Webster signed with the Toronto Argonauts as a free agent. He played in all 18 regular season games, recording three defensive tackles, ten special teams tackles, and one forced fumble. He played in both post-season games, including the 105th Grey Cup game where he recorded one special teams tackle en route to his first Grey Cup championship.
- "Matt Webster". Queen's University. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Mingo, Rita (13 May 2014). "CFL Draft: Calgarian Matt Webster triumphs over injuries, gets picked by Saskatchewan". Calgary Herald. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Matt Webster". Saskatchewan Roughriders. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- McCormick, Murray (4 June 2015). "Webster accepts praise from Roughriders head coach Chamblin Video". The Leader-Post. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Gasson, Joel (5 September 2014). "Injuries open the door for Canadian Rider rookies". CJME. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- Gameday preview - Bombers at Riders
- George, Webster sign extensions