Matthew Curry in Buford, GA (2015)
|Birth name||Matthew Curry|
|Born||May 23, 1995|
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Matthew Curry is an American rock and blues musician from Bloomington, Illinois, United States. Curry originally began playing guitar at the age of 4 with the encouragement of his Father. Naturally born a left-hander; Curry’s first guitar, described by Matthew as a “cheap-o Walmart guitar,” was a right-handed model that he flipped upside down. Today, he typically plays a left-handed Eric Clapton Signature Fender Stratocaster. Mostly self-taught, Curry learned to play by playing along to music by artists like ZZ Top and the late Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Signed to the Paradigm Talent Agency in 2013, Curry is a consistent national touring artist; support has included dates in support of Peter Frampton, The Steve Miller Band, The Doobie Brothers, and Blackberry Smoke.
In 2015 Curry performed a number of music festivals including, The Beale Street Music Festival, Wakarusa Music and Camping Festival, and the Summer Camp Music Festival. In April 2014 Curry made his Australian debut with a performance on the Byron Bay Bluesfest in New South Wales, Australia.
In August 2015 Curry was featured by Fender Guitars as a participating artist on the Fender Accelerator Tour. As part of the tour, Fender provided guitars, gear, and promotional tools to emerging artists. Featured artists included The Bots, Coasts (band), Deap Vally, Josh Dorr, Night Terrors of 1927, Priory (band), Marmozets, Real Estate (band), Striking Matches, and Waters (band).
Curry has frequently participated in impromptu jam sessions and blues renditions with past touring headliners including Peter Frampton, The Steve Miller Band, and The Doobie Brothers.
Peter Frampton describes Matthew Curry, “...someone asked me in an interview today if I thought there could be anymore guitar heroes. Well, hell yes of course and Matthew is one who will prove that to be true.”
Steve Miller of The Steve Miller Band has described Curry as a, “…wonderful guitar player [and] great songwriter in the Stevie Ray Vaughan area of virtuosity and originality.”
Matthew Curry's touring band is: Tim Brickner (bass and backing vocals), Mike Nellas (guitar and backing vocals) and Francis Valentino (drums)
In the Media
Curry made his feature film debut with a speaking role, portraying the late Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd, in Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser starring David Spade and directed by Fred Wolf. The film was debuted by Crackle on July 16, 2015.
- If I Don’t Got You
- New York Blues
- Storm’s A-Brewing
- Walk Out That Door
- Hear the Highway
- Blinded by the Darkness
- Dancing to the Blues
- High Water Everywhere
- Love Me Right
- Set Me Free
- Six String Broken Heart
- Put One Over
- Hundred Dollar Friend
- Bad Bad Day
- Down The Line
Shine On (2016)
- Blink of an Eye
- Shine On
- Electric Religion
- Matter of Time
- Draw the Line
Open Road (2019)
- Open Road
- One More Wrong Night
- The Great Midwest
- Working it Out
- On My Way
- Monday Rain
- Singing Right Along
- Illusion of Hope
- I Think of You
- "Q&A: Matthew Curry : Illinois Entertainer". Archived from the original on 2015-08-10. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Blues master Matthew Curry dedicated to career". herald-review.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Matthew Curry | Artists who Love Fender". www2.fender.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Matthew Curry learns from Steve Miller Band, lands opening gig". siouxcityjournal.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "ParadigmLive | Roster". paradigmlive.com. Archived from the original on 2015-10-01. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Matthew Curry Tour History from 2012 - 2016 - Matthew Curry Past Tour Dates". bandsintown.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Byron Bay Bluesfest 2014 Sixth Lineup Announcement - Music News, Reviews, Interviews and Culture - Music Feeds". musicfeeds.com.au. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Fender Launches 'Accelerator Tour,' Pays For Emerging Bands' Gear And Travel | Billboard". billboard.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Fender Accelerator Tour Launches Providing Emerging Artists With Transportation, Gear, And Promo Support - hypebot". hypebot.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Meet Matthew Curry, Steve Miller Band's Opening Act [VIDEO]". 965thefox.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Watch Young Blues Artist Matthew Curry Cover Jimi Hendrix's 'Fire'". ultimateclassicrock.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser (Video 2015) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "If I Don't Got You - Matthew Curry | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Electric Religion - Matthew Curry | Release Info | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2015-09-30.