Mayank Shekhar is an Indian film critic, journalist and author. He has been a film critic and a national cultural editor with Hindustan Times. He previously worked under Mumbai Mirror and MiD DAY. He also used to write a blog, Fad For Thought, at the Hindustan Times website. Currently, his reviews appear on his website theW14.com and also at the Dainik Bhaskar in different languages. He currently is the editorial head of Mid-Day entertainment.
Early life and education
Shekhar completed his schooling from Delhi Public School, R. K. Puram, Delhi in 1998 and thereafter graduated in Economics from St. Stephen's College, Delhi, in 2001 and moved to Mumbai thereafter. He currently resides at Chembur.
Shekhar moved to Mumbai after his studies and started his career as film journalist, eventually he came to head the features team at Mumbai Mirror for two years and was also part of the Mid-Day features team for four years.
In 2006, Bombay Talkies, a book authored by Shekhar was published by Frog Books. The book is a compilation of film reviews written by Shekhar from 2004 to 2005. In a review, Bollywood Hungama wrote that the book "qualifies more as his [Shekhar's] personal portfolio or his extended resume."
Shekhar is a member of the Central Board of Film Certification. In 2004, he was one of 21 recipients of the 5th "Young Achievers Awards" by the Indo-American Film Society for his work as a film critic. In 2007 he was awarded with the Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism.
He currently runs a cinema website called theW14.com.
He has authored a bestselling book, Name Place Animal Thing.
- Bombay Talkies, Frog Books (IND), 2006.
Name Place Animal Thing, 2016
- Malani, Gaurav (2006-07-12). "Book Review: Bombay Talkies by Mayank Shekhar". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Fad for Thought Hindustan Times
- Iyer, Meena (2007-04-29). "Death of the critic". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Raje, Ashish (2004-12-20). "Diary". MiD DAY. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- "Why I am a critic". Berlin International Film Festival, Berlinale Talent Campus. 21 December 2009.
- "I live in Chembur!". Mumbai Mirror. 7 December 2007. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards 2006-2007". The Indian Express. Indian Express Limited. Retrieved 2011-09-05.