||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
May 12, 1977 |
|Spouse||Jena la Flamme (2014)|
Michael Ellsberg is an American author, blogger, and public speaker.[non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed] In 2011, he published The Education of Millionaires: It’s Not What You Think and It’s Not Too Late.
Ellsberg was born in San Francisco to Daniel and Patricia Marx Ellsberg;[non-primary source needed][not in citation given] his maternal grandfather was American toy maker Louis Marx. He grew up in Berkeley, and attended Deerfield Academy.[non-primary source needed] He received a degree in International Relations from Brown University in 1999. Ellsberg was married to Jena la Flamme, but divorced in 2014.
His first book, The Power of Eye Contact: Your Secret for Success in Business, Love, and Life, was published in 2010.[non-primary source needed] His second book, The Education of Millionaires: It’s Not What You Think and It’s Not Too Late, was published in 2011. For this book, Ellsberg interviewed millionaires and billionaires who do not have college degrees (including Matt Mullenweg, Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour, Sean Parker, and Marc Ecko). The book was profiled in Time Magazine, who called the book an "assault on higher education", and in the New York Times.[non-primary source needed]
Ellsberg is credited for inventing "eye-gazing parties," a craze in 2010 where participants stare deeply into each other's eyes and follow up if they feel they made a connection. He is also a book editor and has spoken at Google and Peter Thiel's Fellow Retreat.[non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed]
- Ellsberg, Michael (2010). The Power of Eye Contact: Your Secret for Success in Business, Love, and Life. Harper Paperbacks. p. 272. ISBN 0-06-178221-1.
- Ellsberg, Michael (2011). The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late. Portfolio Hardcover. p. 272. ISBN 1-59184-420-7.
- Ellsberg, Michael. How I Overcame Bipolar II (and Saved My Own Life). Forbes. July 18, 2011.
- Get Rich Investing In Your Own Human Capital. Forbes. October 21, 2011.
- Who Is Michael Ellsberg?. Ellsberg.com.
- Abraham, Yvonne. McNamara offers another view of Vietnam Cites missed opportunities that hold lessons on Balkans. Boston Globe. April 24, 1999.
- Palmer, Kimberly. The Unorthodox Success Strategies of Millionaires. U.S. News & World Report. October 12, 2011.
-  New York Times: Facebook’s Last Taboo: The Unhappy Marriage
- Power of Eye Contact Official Website
- The Power of Eye Contact. Fox News. July 13, 2010.
- Gregorian, Vartan. The Myth of the Millionaire College Dropout. Time Magazine. October 21, 2011.
- Ellsberg, Michael. Will Dropouts Save America?. The New York Times. October 22, 2011.
- Michael Ellsberg: Need to Know. Forbes.
- Bonos, Lisa. Dating in D.C. can be difficult; 'eye-gazing parties' seek to help singles. Washington Post. April 18, 2010.
- Pace, Gina. The Eyes Have It. CBS. November 2, 2010. "Eye gazing is the brainchild of Michael Ellsberg, who edits book manuscripts and lives in New York."
- Stareway to Heaven. Nerve.com. May 14, 2006.
- Morgan, Richard. Eyes Only for Each Other, at Least for the Next Three Minutes. The New York Times. October 11, 2005.
- Is Freelancing Right For You?. Harvard Business Review. "Ellsberg realized he knew enough people (and enough people knew him) to be able to sell himself as a book-proposal writing coach...He charges by the project for books, and his hourly rate for marketing is $200."
- How to Network Your Way to World-Class Mentors: The Thiel Fellowship Lecture, Part 1. Forbes. August 31, 2011.