Houses and post box
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||SHEPTON MALLET|
|Police||Avon and Somerset|
|Fire||Devon and Somerset|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
An early Iron Age earthwork, probably a stock enclosure but known as Fox Covert, occupies a spur of Creech Hill overlooking the River Alham valley. The site includes a possible barrow on the west.
The Mendip Hospital, built in 1845–47, is not near Milton Clevedon, it is located in St Cuthbert Out, near Wells.
The parish council has responsibility for local issues, including setting an annual precept (local rate) to cover the council’s operating costs and producing annual accounts for public scrutiny. The parish council evaluates local planning applications and works with the local police, district council officers, and neighbourhood watch groups on matters of crime, security, and traffic. The parish council's role also includes initiating projects for the maintenance and repair of parish facilities, as well as consulting with the district council on the maintenance, repair, and improvement of highways, drainage, footpaths, public transport, and street cleaning. Conservation matters (including trees and listed buildings) and environmental issues are also the responsibility of the council.
The village falls within the Non-metropolitan district of Mendip, which was formed on 1 April 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972, having previously been part of Shepton Mallet Rural District, which is responsible for local planning and building control, local roads, council housing, environmental health, markets and fairs, refuse collection and recycling, cemeteries and crematoria, leisure services, parks, and tourism.
Somerset County Council is responsible for running the largest and most expensive local services such as education, social services, libraries, main roads, public transport, policing and fire services, trading standards, waste disposal and strategic planning.
It is also part of the Somerton and Frome county constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election, and part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament which elects seven MEPs using the d'Hondt method of party-list proportional representation.
- "Parish Population Statistics" (PDF). ONS Census 2001. Somerset County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 November 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- Bush, Robin (1994). Somerset: The complete guide. Wimborne: The Dovecote Press Ltd. p. 144. ISBN 1-874336-26-1.
- "Hillfort at Fox Covert, Milton Clevedon". Somerset Historic Environment Record. Somerset County Council. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- "Fox Covert". Fortified England. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 16 January 2011.
- A Vision of Britain Through Time : Shepton Mallet Rural District Archived 23 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Church of St. James". Images of England. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
Media related to Milton Clevedon at Wikimedia Commons