Milwaukee District / North Line
|Milwaukee District / North Line|
|Daily ridership||23,257 (Avg. Weekday 2014)|
|Owner||Metra (Dispatched primarily by CP south of Rondout)|
|Operator(s)||Metra, CP (South of Rondout), and WSOR|
|Line length||49.7 miles (80.0 km)|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The Milwaukee District / North Line (MD-N) is a Metra commuter rail line in Chicago, Illinois, and its northern suburbs. Metra does not refer to any of its lines by color, but the timetable accents for the Milwaukee District / North line are pale "Hiawatha Orange," honoring the Milwaukee Road's Hiawatha passenger trains. The line utilizes the Canadian Pacific Railway's C&M Subdivision. From Rondout to Fox Lake, the line is single tracked.
Metra is the primary user of the line, with commuter services operating between Union Station and Fox Lake, Illinois. As of 2018[update] the public timetable shows 30 weekday departures to Chicago, with 18 running through to Fox Lake. Of the 12 trains not running to Fox Lake, six terminate at Deerfield, five at Grayslake, and one at Lake Forest. The public timetable also shows 30 trains heading in to Chicago of which 18 start at Fox Lake. Of the 12 that don't start at Fox Lake, seven start at Deerfield and five start at Grayslake. NCS train #120 is also shown on the timetable as it makes stops at Libertyville and Lake Forest. Metra operates a reduced schedule on weekends. This service is supplemented by Amtrak, whose Empire Builder and Hiawatha Service inter-city trains stop at Union Station and Glenview.
Metra began reverse-commute service on the North Line on March 4, 2019. This service is part of a pilot-program funded under a two-year, public-private partnership (P3).
In the 1980s this line was the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road). With the demise of the Milwaukee Road, ownership eventually passed to Metra. Today this service is one of several Metra routes operated by Metra crews, but trains are dispatched, under contract, by the Canadian Pacific Railway which runs freight service over parts of this route.
The Milwaukee District/North Line route and Metra's track ownership diverges from the Chicago - Milwaukee - Minneapolis mainline at Rondout, Illinois and proceeds northwesterly toward Fox Lake. This secondary route, owned by Metra, was known as the Janesville Subdivision (J-Sub) of the Milwaukee Road. The mainline north of Rondout is owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CP). Metra service and track ownership ends at Fox Lake. The tracks beyond Fox Lake are owned by the State of Wisconsin and operated for freight service by the Wisconsin and Southern Railroad. Commuter service beyond Fox Lake, abolished in 1982, served the communities of Spring Grove, Illinois, Solon Mills, Illinois, Zenda, Wisconsin, and Walworth, Wisconsin.
Until 1984 there was a stop in Rondout. The station building itself was demolished in the mid-1960s. The station was located at Rondout Junction, where the line crosses the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railway's tracks at a diamond junction.
|Period||Avg. weekday ridership|
|Period||Avg. weekend ridership|
|O||Walworth||Walworth, Wisconsin||Walworth||Closed October 1, 1982|
|N||Zenda||Zenda, Wisconsin||Closed October 1, 1982|
|L||Richmond||Richmond, Illinois||McHenry||proposed new stop|
|K||Solon Mills||Solon Mills||Closed October 1, 1982|
planned to reopen
|Spring Grove||Spring Grove||Closed October 1, 1982|
planned to reopen
|J||Fox Lake||Fox Lake||Lake||Connections|
Pace buses: 570 Fox Lake-CLC and 806 Crystal Lake-Fox Lake
|Ingleside||Ingleside||Points of interest|
Duck Lake and Fox Lake Veterans Memorial Park
|Wilson Road||Long Lake||Closed 1984|
|I||Round Lake||Round Lake||Connections|
Pace buses: 570 Fox Lake-CLC
Pace buses: 570 Fox Lake-CLC
Metra trains: North Central Service (at Prairie Crossing)
|F||Lake Forest||Lake Forest|
Pace buses: 471 Highland Park/Deerfield and 632 Lake Cook Shuttle Bug 2
|Lake Cook Road||Cook||Connections|
Pace buses: 626 Skokie Valley Limited, 627 Discover-Takeda Shuttle Bug, 631 Lake Cook Shuttle Bug 1, 632 Lake Cook Shuttle Bug 2, 633 Lake Cook Shuttle Bug 3, 634 Lake Cook Shuttle Bug 4, and 635 Lake Cook Shuttle Bug 5
Pace buses: 422 Linden CTA/Glenview/Northbrook Court
Pace buses: 423 Linden CTA/The Glen/Harlem CTA and 623 Glen of North Glenview-Metra Station/Willow Road Corridor
Amtrak trains: Empire Builder and Hiawatha Service
Pace buses: 210 Lincoln Avenue, 422 Linden CTA/Glenview/Northbrook Court, and 423 Linden CTA/The Glen/Harlem CTA
Pace buses: 210 Lincoln Avenue
|C||Morton Grove||Morton Grove||Connections|
Pace buses: 210 Lincoln Avenue and 250 Dempster Street
CTA buses: 92 Foster
CTA buses: 56 Milwaukee and 152 Addison
CTA buses: 53 Pulaski and 74 Fullerton
Amtrak trains: California Zephyr, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Illini and Saluki, Illinois Zephyr and Carl Sandburg, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Lake Shore Limited, Pere Marquette, Wolverine, Blue Water, and Lincoln Service
Metra trains: Milwaukee District / West, North Central Service, BNSF Railway, Heritage Corridor, and SouthWest Service
CTA "L" trains: Blue Line (at Clinton), Brown Line, Orange Line, Pink Line, and Purple Line (at Quincy)
CTA buses: 1 Bronzeville/Union Station, 7 Harrison, J14 Jeffery Jump, 19 United Center Express, 28 Stony Island, 56 Milwaukee, 60 Blue Island/26th, 120 Ogilvie/Streeterville Express, 121 Union/Streeterville Express, 124 Navy Pier, 125 Water Tower Express, 126 Jackson, 128 Soldier Field Express, 130 Museum Campus, 151 Sheridan, 156 LaSalle, 157 Streeterville/Taylor, 192 University of Chicago Hospitals Express
Pace buses: 755 Plainfield/IMD/West Loop Express
Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach: Chicago-Madison and Chicago-Rockford (via Van Galder), Chicago-Louisville (via Greyhound)
- "Milwaukee District North Line Weekday Ridership". Regional Transportation Authority Mapping and Statistics (RTAMS). Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- "Did you know?" (PDF). On the Bi-Level: 3. June 2009.
- "Chicago to Fox Lake" (PDF). Metra. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 August 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Metra to begin reverse-commute service from Chicago to Lake County". Progressive Railroading. February 22, 2019. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- Metra Railfan Tips - Milwaukee District/North Line
- Chicago's Lost Stations - Milwaukee Road Suburban Service; North Timetable (November 14, 1971)
- Chicago's Lost Stations - Milwaukee Road Chicago-Fox Lake
- "RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANNUAL REPORT 2018" (PDF). Metra. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 2 January 2010.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 29 March 2012.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 28 October 2013.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original on 20 March 2017.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Operations and Ridership Data". Metra. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2013.
- Ridership Trends - Annual Report 2017 (PDF) (Report). Metra Division of Strategic Capital Planning. February 2018. p. 32. Retrieved December 2, 2018.
- Metra Milwaukee District/North service schedule
Media related to Metra Milwaukee District/North Line at Wikimedia Commons