"The Village of Country Living"
Location of Wadsworth in Lake County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Total||9.76 sq mi (25.27 km2)|
|• Land||9.67 sq mi (25.03 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.24 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||384.23/sq mi (148.36/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Wadsworth, Illinois|
Wadsworth is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States. The population was 3,815 at the 2010 census. It is named after E. S. Wadsworth, who was a major stockholder for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, which passes through the village.
Wadsworth is located at .
According to the 2010 census, Wadsworth has a total area of 9.671 square miles (25.05 km2), of which 9.58 square miles (24.81 km2) (or 99.06%) is land and 0.091 square miles (0.24 km2) (or 0.94%) is water.
- Tri-State Tollway
- Old US-41
- Russell Road
- Kilbourne Road
- Delany Road
- Skokie Highway
- Rosecrans Road
- 21st Street
- Wadsworth Road
- Cashmore Road
- Green Bay Road
- Dilleys Road
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,083 people, 1,036 households, and 886 families residing in the village. The population density was 351.4 people per square mile (135.7/km²). There were 1,051 housing units at an average density of 119.8 per square mile (46.3/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 94.13% White, 1.72% African American, 0.13% Native American, 1.04% Asian, 1.04% from other races, and 1.95% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.54% of the population.
There were 1,036 households out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 78.9% were married couples living together, 4.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.4% were non-families. 11.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.98 and the average family size was 3.24.
In the village, the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 30.3% from 45 to 64, and 8.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.1 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $86,867, and the median income for a family was $92,060. Males had a median income of $60,893 versus $36,399 for females. The per capita income for the village was $45,171. About 1.2% of families and 1.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.3% of those under age 18 and 1.9% of those age 65 or over.
Wadsworth also contains the pyramid house. "The largest 24-karat gold-plated object ever created" is the private home of Jim Onan, a wealthy Armenian garage builder, and his family. The Onans occasionally open the house for tours of the 17,000-square-foot (1,600 m2) 6-story structure containing a replica of King Tut's tomb. The walled property also features a triple-pyramid garage, a 64-foot-tall (20 m) statue of Ramesses II, and a recreation of King Tutankhamun's tomb. In 2018, the pyramid house was severely damaged by fire.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 30, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved November 2, 2019.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Wadsworth village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-25.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Tempel Farms website". Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- Atlas Obscura: Onan's Gold Pyramid House
- About the Gold Pyramid House.
- Press, Associated. "Owners may demolish Gold Pyramid House damaged in fire, replace it with 'bigger and better' pyramid". Lake County News-Sun. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wadsworth, Illinois.|