|Region or state||Soviet Union|
|Associated national cuisine||Russia|
|Main ingredients||Canned fish, boiled eggs, grated cheese, onion, mayonnaise|
Mimosa salad (Russian: сала́т мимо́за) is a festive salad, whose main ingredients are cheese, eggs, canned fish, onion, and mayonnaise. Mimosa salad got its name because of its reminiscence of "mimosa", spring flowers, scattered on the snow. The similarity is achieved by crumbling and scattering boiled egg yolk on the surface. The salad's popularity in the USSR (and nowadays in the post-Soviet states) has led to the emergence of a wide variety of recipes.
A classic recipe is to layer ingredients, in a bowl, with mayonnaise in-between layers. Typical ingredients include:
- Canned fish, drained, de-boned, mashed. Common sorts are salmon, pacific saury, mackerel, or trout;
- Hard cheese, finely crumbled, sprinkled;
- Boiled egg whites, coarsely grated, sprinkled. Sometimes the egg yolks, without the whites, are used. Sometimes entire hard boiled eggs are used.
- Boiled egg yolks, finely crumbled boiled, sprinkled on top;
- Onion, finely chopped, sprinkled;
Further ingredients may include:
- Butter, coarsely grated, frozen, sprinkled;
- Boiled potatoes, coarsely grated, sprinkled;
- Boiled carrots, coarsely grated, sprinkled.
Mimosa salad, decorated with dill
- Marina Zdobnova (2013). My Olympic Sochi: Travel Guide. p. 150.
- "Classic Mimosa - Ukraine National Cuisine". Discover Ukraine. 2015.
- Barilla, A. (2014). Salads: Delicious Recipes for Italian Favorites. Taunton Press. p. 64. ISBN 978-1-62710-850-8.
- Association, A.H. (2002). American Heart Association Meals in Minutes Cookbook: Over 200 All-New Quick and Easy Low-Fat Recipes. American Heart Association Series. Clarkson Potter. p. 69. ISBN 978-0-609-80977-8.
- Salat Mimosa - No Place Like Kitchen – Olga Galanter
- Salad Mimosa - cook step by step
- Mimosa salad recipe - RusCuisine.com
- Mimoza Salad (Serbian) - Tasty Makes Happy
- Mimosa salad - Azerbaijan Cookbook
- Mimosa salad - New Sweden Cultural Heritage Society
- Mimosa salad recipe – All recipes Australia NZ
- Mimosa salad Recipe - Genius cook
- Mrs. John F. Kennedy’s Salad Mimosa - Secrets from the White House Kitchens
- Crab and Avocado Mimosa – Mad Men Recipes: Food Republic
|This food-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|