|Main ingredients||Eggs, mayonnaise, spices, herbs|
Egg salad is part of a tradition of salads involving a protein, in this case eggs, mixed with seasonings in the form of herbs, spices, and other ingredients, and bound with mayonnaise. Its culinary siblings include chicken salad, crab salad, ham salad, lobster salad, and tuna salad. A typical egg salad is made of chopped hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, minced celery and onion, salt, black pepper, and paprika. A common use for it as a filling for egg sandwiches. It is also often used as a topping for a green salad.
Egg salad can be made creatively with any number of other cold foods added. Bacon, bell pepper, capers, cheese, cucumber, onions, lettuce, pickle relish, and pickles are common additional ingredients.
A closely related sandwich filler is egg mayonnaise, wherein chopped hard-boiled egg is mixed with mayonnaise only.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-27. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "The Nibble: Egg Salad". www.thenibble.com. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-06-15. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Cucumber-Basil Egg Salad". 31 March 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Classic Egg Salad Sandwich With Cheese - What to Expect". Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich Recipe - Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe". 8 September 2009. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Russian Salad (Olivier)". EnjoyYourCooking. Retrieved 14 June 2017.