|Main ingredients||Eggs, mayonnaise, spices, herbs|
|Cookbook: Egg salad Media: Egg salad|
Egg salad is part of a tradition of salads involving a protein mixed with seasonings in the form of herbs, spices, and other foods, and bound with mayonnaise. Its siblings include chicken salad, crab salad, ham salad, lobster salad, and tuna salad.
Egg salad is often used as a sandwich filling, typically made of chopped hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, minced celery and onion, salt, black pepper, and paprika. It is also often used as a topping on green salad.
Egg salad can be made creatively with any number of other cold foods added. Bacon, bell pepper, capers, cheese, cucumber, onions, lettuce, pickle relish, and pickles are common additional ingredients.
A closely related sandwich filler is egg mayonnaise, wherein chopped hard-boiled egg is mixed with mayonnaise only.
- "The Nibble: Egg Salad". www.thenibble.com. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-06-15. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Cucumber-Basil Egg Salad". 31 March 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Classic Egg Salad Sandwich With Cheese - What to Expect". Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich Recipe - Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe". 8 September 2009. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Russian Salad (Olivier)". EnjoyYourCooking. Retrieved 14 June 2017.