||This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Public Limited Company|
|Fate||Merged into Jazz|
|Founded||June 11, 1994|
|Founder||Saif Group and Motorola|
|More than 20000 cities, towns, and villages across Pakistan|
(President and CEO)
|Products||Mobile Telephony, WiMAX, VoIP, DSL, PCO and Mobile Banking|
|Revenue||Rs104 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
Mobilink (Urdu: موبی لنک) was a trade name of Pakistan Mobile Communications Limited (PMCL), a mobile operator in Pakistan providing a range of prepaid and postpaid voice and data telecommunication services to both individual and corporate subscribers. Its head office is in Islamabad, and the current President and CEO is Aamir Ibrahim. The network claims to have been the first GSM-based mobile operator in South Asia.
- 1 History
- 2 Radio Frequency Summary
- 3 Subsidiaries, joint ventures, and holdings
- 4 Governance
- 5 Mobilink Foundation
- 6 Awards and recognition
- 7 Other Internet Free Services
- 8 Merger with Warid
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Mobilink started operations in 1990 as the first GSM cellular mobile service in Pakistan with a joint venture by Saif Group and Motorola Inc., who later sold it to Orascom Telecom, an Egypt-based multinational company and then they also further sold it to Vimpelcom Group, a Russian Company.
The Orascom group, who formally owned Mobilink has a major share in TWA (Transworld Associates) which operates an undersea fiber-optic cable from Karachi, Pakistan, to Fujairah, UAE. As of June 2010, Mobilink had issued two listed bonds valued at PKR 30.2 billion and PKR 60 billion.
As part of Orascom-Vimplecom deal, all Orascom operations were bound to re-brand in all operating markets. Just like Orascom had announced to rebrand itself to become Global Telecom Holding in late 2012, in line with the outcome of the deal, Mobilink has reshaped itself along with changing the architecture of its brands.
Radio Frequency Summary
In April 2014, Mobilink participated in the Next Generation Mobile Services (NGMS) auction held by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), Mobilink won the bid for the 2100 MHz 3G license. In July 2014, they announced that their 3G network would be the country's largest with over 9000 3G-ready cell sites.
In November 2015, Mobilink announced its merger with Warid Pakistan, the merger was completed in July 2016 and the companies were going to plan for integration and merging into a single brand in the future. In November 2016, Mobilink announced that Warid customers would be able to use their 3G network, and that soon Mobilink customers will be able to use Warid's LTE network, which is currently being tested in some areas of Pakistan, namely, Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Rawalpindi.
Subsidiaries, joint ventures, and holdings
Mobilink is a communications access provider offering customers access through different channels. The four key platforms Orange operates are:
- Mobile Phone Telephony
- Broadband access
- Mobile Banking
Mobilink (PMCL) acquired and merged the different external or internal divisions managing each platform and now all operate under the different brands.
Jazz X (Haier Co-Branded) Mobile Phones
Mobilink along with Haier Mobile division has launched co-branded handsets including feature phone, smartphones, and tablets.
Mobilink has partnered with Waseela Microfinance Bank to mark its entry into the branchless banking segment. With Mobicash, customers have access to the simplest way to conduct their financial transactions, related to paying bills, sending/receiving money within Pakistan, purchasing top-ups for their cell phones (Pre-paid).
LINkdotNET (an Orascom Subsidiary) commenced its operation in Pakistan by acquiring two already existing Internet Service Providers (ISPs) named as World Online (WOL) Telecom Limited and Dancom Online. LINKdotNET merged the resources of these two companies and by putting in more investment launched its operations officially on 2 February 2008. It was offering its services in more than 130 cities in Pakistan and in two years this company raised its customer base up to 35,000. LINKdotNET provided services for both home and commercial users and was the second largest broadband service provider in Pakistan after PTCL (Pakistan Telecommunication Limited).
Under the brand name of Infinity, Mobilink had started its WiMAX services in major cities of Pakistan.
Orascom took over the management
Despite having the 26% of Mobilink GSM business share, in April 2001, Orascom (GTH) took over management control of the company. As the market leader, Mobilink serves approximately 38.1 million customers and has a 28% market share (as of March 31, 2014).
On March 30, 2000, Mobilink was 26% acquired by Orascom Telecom (now Global Telecom Holding), telecom company. Orascom has mobile telephony holdings in a number of countries in Africa and the Middle East.
President and CEO
- 2016: Aamir Ibrahim
- 2014: Jeffrey Hedberg
- 2008: Rashid Khan
- 2003: Zouhair Abdul Khaliq
Board of Directors
List of people in board of directors to whom Mobilink is governed.
|David Dobbie||Board Member|
|Hassan Helmy||Board Member|
|Vincenzo Nesci||Chairman and Board member|
|Aamir Ibrahim||CEO and Board member|
|Mikhail Gerchuk||Chairman and board member|
|Niaz Brohi||Board Member|
|Alex Shalaby||Board Member|
|Emad Shawky Farid||Independent Member|
The Mobilink Foundation is a registered non-profit organization, which provides support for the local community not only financially but also through dedicated volunteer hours. Being a philanthropic organization, it is purely based on employee volunteerism. No administrative costs or overheads are incurred age the organization and therefore, every single penny that is donated to Mobilink Foundation goes directly into making a difference on the ground.
The Mobilink Foundation Torchbearers clock an average of 4 to 5 dedicated hours per person per month during official working hours. On average the volunteers spent more than 4,500 hours in 2012 in community service initiatives.
Awards and recognition
- Mobilink Jazz Won the Pakistan Center of Philanthropy Award
- 10th Annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Excellence Awards 2016
- 9th Annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Excellence Awards 2015
- 8th Annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Excellence Awards 2014 
- 7th Annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Excellence Awards 2013
- Ethical Corporate Award 2014 
- GSMA's Global Mobile Award 2013 
- Green Office Certification – World Wide Fund for Nature
- Shaukat Khanum Corporate Social Responsibility Award 2012 
- Overseas Investors Chamber Award 2010 
- Annual Super-Brands 2009
- Annual Super-Brands 2008
- Employer of the Year 2008
- Brand of the Year 2006
- Research In Motion (RIM) Blackberry Award of Excel 2005
Other Internet Free Services
Merger with Warid
Mobilink previously announced its merger with Warid Tel in November 2015. The case was under review at Pakistan telecommunication authority. After scrutiny PTA finally approved the merger on 24 May 2016. In January 2017, Mobilink CEO, Aamir Ibrahim, stated that the Warid brand name would be history, and both companies would be re-launched under the 'Jazz' brand name. After the acquisition of Warid now Mobilink joins the 4G service provider in Pakistan.
- More Magazine. "Mobilink celebrates 20th anniversary with cash prizes worth millions". More Magazine. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Saif Group - Executive Management". Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "About Us". Mobilink. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Coverage". Mobilink. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Mobilink. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Saif Group - Executive Management".
- "Mobilink Warid Merger Gets Completed". 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Warid Customers Can Now Enjoy Mobilink's 3G Packages". 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Mobilink Starts LTE Trials, Warid Customers to Enjoy 3G Trials". 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Company Profile".
- "MOBILINK TO BE 26% ACQUIRED BY ORASCOM TELECOM".
- "Board of Directors - Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Retrieved 2015-07-26.
- "A Few Words About Mobilink Foundation".
- "Mobilink Jazz Won the Pakistan Center of Philanthropy Award". Paktechinfo. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Mobilink wins '8th Annual CSR Excellence Awards' - Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "Mobilink wins the Ethical Corporate Award 2014 for mLiteracy Program".
- "Awards History 1996-2014 | Global Mobile Awards". www.globalmobileawards.com. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "Mobilink and Warid to merge into single company". Hotchpotch Post. 2015-11-26. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Pakistan Telecommunication Authority approves Mobilink's merger with Warid". Business Recorder. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Mobilink, Warid merger approved". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "Warid Telecom ::". www.waridtel.com. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Mobilink and Warid are now one happy family — but what's in it for customers?". DAWN.COM. 2016-07-23. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Mobilink and Warid are Merging into One Brand: Jazz". 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Mobilink 3G Internet Packages 2017". Paktechinfo.