||This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (March 2015)|
|Public Limited Company|
|Founded||June 11, 1994|
|Founder||Saif Group and Motorola|
|More than 20000 cities, towns, and villages across Pakistan|
(President and CEO)
|Products||Mobile Telephony, WiMAX, VoIP, DSL, PCO and Mobile Banking|
|Revenue||$3.1 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||Har Dil. Har Din.|
Mobilink (Pakistan Mobile Communications Limited or PMCL) (Urdu: موبی لنک, the first GSM-based cellular operator in South Asia, operates the leading GSM network in Pakistan and provides a range of prepaid and postpaid voice and data telecommunication services to both individual and corporate subscribers. It employs about 8500 people across Pakistan and has served more than 38.2 million customers as of 1st Quarter April 2015. Its head office is in Islamabad, and the current President and CEO is Jeffrey Hedberg.
- 1 History
- 2 3rd Generation
- 3 Subsidiaries, joint ventures, and holdings
- 4 Mobilink's X Series Mobiles
- 5 Governance
- 6 Mobilink Foundation
- 7 Awards & Recognition
- 8 Other Internet Free Services
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Mobilink, is registered by the decision of P-00664 of 1990 or CUIN 0022993 (Both active & valid) on December 27, 1990. It started operations in 1990 as the first GSM cellular mobile service in Pakistan with a joint venture by Saif Group and Motorola Inc., who later sold it to Orascom Telecom, an Egypt-based multinational company and then they also further sold it to Vimpelcom Group, a Russian Company.
It initiated its network modernization project in May 2013 and more than 70% of the network has already been revamped with 3G-enabled equipment.
The Orascom group, who formally owned Mobilink has a major share in TWA (Transworld Associates) which operates an undersea fiber-optic cable from Karachi, Pakistan, to Fujairah, UAE. As of June 2010, Mobilink had issued two listed bonds valued at PKR 30.2 billion and PKR 60 billion.
As part of Orascom-Vimplecom deal, all Orascom operations were bound to re-brand in all operating markets. Just like Orascom had announced to rebrand itself to become Global Telecom Holding in late 2012, in line with the outcome of the deal, Mobilink has reshaped itself along with changing the architecture of its brands.
Mobilink won 10Mhz block for 3rd Generation spectrum on 23 April 2014 and has launched its 3G services in major cities of Pakistan. Mobilink has announced that it will complete the roll-out of country’s largest 3G ready network with more than 9,000 cell sites across Pakistan by July 2014. Mobilink has the largest market share in Pakistani market today, and its 3G subscriber base is the largest in the country.
Mobilink introduced the 3G enabled Data Devices in Pakistan, for high-speed internet reaching up to 7.1 Mbit/s.`
After its initial 3G launch in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Multan, and Faisalabad, Mobilink has expanded its 3G availability in more than 200 cities across Pakistan.
Subsidiaries, joint ventures, and holdings
Mobilink is a communications access provider offering customers access through different channels. The four key platforms Orange operates are:
- Mobile Phone Telephony
- Broadband access
- Mobile Banking
Mobilink (PMCL) acquired and merged the different external or internal divisions managing each platform and now all operate under the different brands.
Mobilink has partnered with Waseela Microfinance Bank to mark its entry into the branchless banking segment. With Mobicash, customers have access to the simplest way to conduct their financial transactions, related to paying bills, sending/receiving money within Pakistan, purchasing top-ups for their cell phones (Pre-paid).
LINkdotNET (an Orascom Subsidiary) commenced its operation in Pakistan by acquiring two already existing Internet Service Providers (ISPs) named as World Online (WOL) Telecom Limited and Dancom Online. LINKdotNET merged the resources of these two companies and by putting in more investment launched its operations officially on 2 February 2008. It was offering its services in more than 130 cities in Pakistan and in two years this company raised its customer base up to 35,000. LINKdotNET provided services for both home and commercial users and was the second largest broadband service provider in Pakistan after PTCL (Pakistan Telecommunication Limited).
Under the brand name of Infinity, Mobilink had started its WiMAX services in major cities of Pakistan.
Orascom took over the management
Despite having the 26% of Mobilink GSM business share, in April 2001, Orascom (GTH) took over management control of the company. As the market leader, Mobilink serves approximately 38.1 million customers and has a 28% market share (as of March 31, 2014).
On March 30, 2000, Mobilink was 26% acquired by Orascom Telecom (now Global Telecom Holding), telecom company. Orascom has mobile telephony holdings in a number of countries in Africa and the Middle East.
Mobilink has unveiled four new mobiles that would support 3G while the price would be below PKR 8000. Three of the handsets will be Android based smartphones while the fourth one is a feature phone but would support 3G. The X series has been launched in collaboration with Haier Pakistan, which like Mobilink is major player in the telecom industry of Pakistan. These handsets come with a different data packages and are available at Mobilink Sales & Customer services Centers.
The three smartphones and the feature phone respective models, specifications, images and prices are as follows:
|Mobilink X Series Smartphones|
|Model||Price||Specifications & Image|
|X Series Feature Phone|
|Model||Price||Specifications & Image|
President and CEO
- 2014: Jeffrey Hedberg
- 2008: Rashid Khan
- 2003: Zouhair Abdul Khaliq
Board of Directors
List of people board of directors to whom Mobilink is governed.
|David Dobbie||Board Member|
|Hassan Helmy||Board Member|
|Vincenzo Nesci||Chairman and board member|
|Jeffrey Hedberg||CEO and board member|
|Mikhail Gerchuk||Chairman and board member|
|Niaz Brohi||Board Member|
|Alex Shalaby||Board Member|
|Emad Shawky Farid||Independent Member|
The Mobilink Foundation is a registered non-profit organization, which provides support for the local community not only financially but also through dedicated volunteer hours. Being a philanthropic organization, it is purely based on employee volunteerism. No administrative costs or overheads are incurred by the organization and therefore, every single penny that is donated to Mobilink Foundation goes directly into making a difference on the ground.
The Mobilink Foundation Touchbearers clock an average of 4 to 5 dedicated hours per person per month during official working hours. On average the volunteers spent more than 4,500 hours in 2012 in community service initiatives.
Awards & Recognition
- 8th Annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Excellence Awards 2014 
- Ethical Corporate Award 2014 
- GSMA's Global Mobile Award 2013 
- Green Office Certification – World Wide Fund for Nature
- Shaukat Khanum Corporate Social Responsibility Award 2012 
- Overseas Investors Chamber Award 2010 
- Annual Super-Brands 2009
- Annual Super-Brands 2008
- Employer of the Year 2008
- Brand of the Year 2006
- Research In Motion (RIM) Blackberry Award of Excel 2005
Other Internet Free Services
- More Magazine. "Mobilink celebrates 20th anniversary with cash prizes worth millions". More Magazine. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Saif Group - Executive Management". Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "About Us". Mobilink. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Coverage". Mobilink. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Mobilink. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "http://www.saifgroup.com/executive.php". External link in
- "Mobilink to Get Largest 3G Ready Network by July 2014". Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Mobilink Brings Pakistan's First 3G Enabled Dongle". Brandsynario.
- "http://mobicash.com.pk/mobicash/". External link in
- "http://www.ukessays.com/essays/business/the-merger-of-linkdotnet-and-mobilink-business-essay.php". External link in
- "http://www.gtelecom.com/company-profile". External link in
- "http://www.telecompaper.com/news/mobilink-to-be-26-acquired-by-orascom-telecom--215013". External link in
- "Jazz X - Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Mobilink. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "PakMobileHub - Mobilink launches its new phone series X". pakmobilehub.com. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- "Board of Directors - Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Retrieved 2015-07-26.
- "http://www.mobilinkfoundation.org/index.php". External link in
- "Mobilink wins ‘8th Annual CSR Excellence Awards’ - Mobilink - Har Dil. Har Din.". Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "http://www.moremag.pk/2014/10/10/mobilink-wins-the-ethical-corporate-award-2014-for-mliteracy-program/". External link in
- "Awards History 1996-2014 | Global Mobile Awards". www.globalmobileawards.com. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
- "http://www.vimpelcom.com/Profile/Understanding-VimpelCom/Brands/Mobilink/". External link in
- Official website
- Mobilink the largest cellular service provider in Pakistan
- Mobilink Sms Packages
- Pakistan Telecom Authority
External news articles
- Pakistan Mobile Market Analysis
- Mobilink launches parental-control phones in Pakistan
- Mobilink 3G
- 3G Mobilink Packages