Global Telecom Holding
|Formerly||Orascom Telecom Holding|
|Type||Société Anonyme Égyptienne|
|Founded||1998 in Cairo, Egypt|
|Revenue||US$2.956 billion (2016)|
Global Telecom Holding S.A.E. (GTH; formerly Orascom Telecom Holding) is a holding company based in Amsterdam, and a subsidiary of the multinational telecommunications services company VEON. GTH previously owned mobile network operators in multiple countries.
Global Telecom has delisted from the EGX Egyptian Exchange and is based in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
In 1997, Orascom Telecom Holding (OTH) was established as a separate entity to consolidate the telecommunications and technology interests of the Orascom group of companies established in 1976. Founded in 1998 as part of the Orascom company, it became the largest cellular operator in the Middle East in only five years.
In 2010, Russian Vimpelcom acquired Orascom Telecom as well as Wind Telecomunicazioni from Weather Investments of the Egyptian entrepreneur Naguib Sawiris and merged the two companies to form Global Telecom Holding based in Cairo. Excluded from this transaction were the activities in North Korea (Koryolink) and Egypt, which were transferred to Orascom Telecom Media and Technology Holding, which remained majority-owned by Naguib Sawiris. The Italian activities of Wind Telecomunicazioni report directly to the parent company Vimpelcom and are not part of Global Telecom Holding.
Orascom Telecom Holding has been renamed to Global Telecom Holding in 2013. On 1 July 2019 Gerbrand Nijman (since June 2015 GTH's group CFO) has succeeded Vincenzo Nesci (retired) as GTH's CEO.
- ^ "SLT Annual Report 2019" (PDF). SLT. SLT.
- ^ "Global Telecom Holding". Egyptian Exchange.
- ^ "Global Telecom - History".[dead link]
- ^ "History". Retrieved 2021-11-18.
- ^ Faucon, Benoit (2003-09-09). "Egypt's Orascom Has Become Telecom Force in Arab World". Dow Jones Newswires. Retrieved 2021-11-18.
- ^ Kiselyova, Maria; Dziadosz, Alexander (2010-10-04). "Vimpelcom in $6.6 billion deal to buy Orascom, Wind". Reuters. Retrieved 2021-12-30.
- ^ "Orascom Telecom to be renamed Global Telecom". Telecompaper. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2021-12-30.
- ^ "GTH appoints Gerband Nijman as CEO" (PDF). GLOBAL TELECOM HOLDING S.A.E. 2019. p. 1. Retrieved 2023-02-05.