Mongarlowe, New South Wales
New South Wales
|Population||117 (2016 census)|
|Location||13 km (8 mi) from Braidwood|
|LGA(s)||Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council|
Location and features
It is situated on the Mongarlowe River and about 13 km east of Braidwood. At the 2016 census, the village and the surrounding area had a population of 117. Several buildings have survived from the 19th century have survived, when it was much larger.
Another population boom followed during the Depression when many returned to distill eucalyptus oil and search again for gold.
There was a proposal for a 98 lot subdivision in proximity to the village which was cancelled in 2008 under pressure from concerned residents.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Mongarlowe (state suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Mongarlowe". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Mongarlowe". OpenStreetMap. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- Information sign at Mongarlowe
- "Mongarlowe public school in the School history database search". New South Wales Department of Education. Retrieved 15 March 2018.