Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse
|Moritz of Hesse|
|Prince and Landgrave of Hesse|
Landgrave Moritz at Kronberg Castle in November 2010
|Born||6 August 1926|
Castle of Racconigi, Cuneo, Italy
|Died||23 May 2013 (aged 86)|
Princess Tatiana of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
(m. 1964; div. 1974)
|Father||Prince Philipp of Hesse|
|Mother||Princess Mafalda of Savoy|
Moritz, Prince and Landgrave of Hesse (Moritz Friedrich Karl Emanuel Humbert 6 August 1926 – 23 May 2013) was the son of Prince Philip, Landgrave of Hesse, and the head of the House of Brabant and the German House of Hesse.
Landgrave Moritz was born at Racconigi Castle, in Italy. During the Second World War, Moritz's mother, Princess Mafalda of Savoy, was arrested by the Nazis for alleged subversive activities and died in the Buchenwald concentration camp in 1944.
Prince Louis of Hesse and by Rhine, the last head of the Hesse-Darmstadt line, died in 1968, at which time Moritz's father succeeded him as head of the entire house. He had been the head of the House of Hesse since the death of his father Philip on 25 October 1980.
He died of lung illness in a hospital in Frankfurt, Germany.
Marriage and children
- Princess Mafalda Margarethe of Hesse (born 6 July 1965). Married 1st, Enrico dei Conti Marone Cinzano (born 5 April 1963 Turin) on 8 July 1989 (div. 1990), no issue. Married 2nd, Carlo Galdo (born 26 March 1954, Naples) on 19 December 1991 (div. 1999) and had two daughters, Tatiana Marie Galdo (born 20 January 1992) and Polissena Galdo (born 30 September 1993). Married 3rd Ferdinando dei Conti Brachetti-Peretti (born 13 January 1960, Rome) on 14 July 2000 in Rome (div. 2014), and had two sons, Cosmo Maria Tebaldo Maurizio Enrico Brachetti-Peretti (born 11 January 2000) and Briano Maria Tebaldo Brachetti-Peretti (born 16 April 2002).
- Landgrave Heinrich Donatus Philipp Umberto of Hesse (born 17 October 1966). Married Countess Floria of Faber-Castell (born 14 October 1974, Düsseldorf, Germany) in 2003 and has a daughter and two sons, Princess Paulina and Hereditary Prince Moritz (twins, born 26 March 2007, Frankfurt am Main, Germany) and Prince August (born 24 August 2012).
- Princess Elena Elisabeth Madeleine of Hesse (born 8 November 1967). She has an illegitimate daughter with Massimo Caiazzo (born 1976), Madeleine Immacolata Tatiana Theresa Caiazzo (born 29 November 1999).
- Prince Philip Robin of Hesse (born 17 September 1970). Married Laetitia Bechtolf (born 5 May 1978, Wedel, Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) on 5 May 2006 (civil wedding) and 10 June 2006 (religious wedding), and has three children: Princess Elena Margherita Lotti Christiane Elisabeth (born 5 December 2006), Prince Tito (born 24 August 2008), and Princess Mafalda (born 2014).
- Gilbert I, Count of the Maasgau, d. 842
- Gilbert II, Count of the Maasgau, 825–875
- Reginar, Duke of Lorraine, 850–915
- Reginar II, Count of Hainaut, 890–932
- Reginar III, Count of Hainaut, 920–973
- Lambert I, Count of Leuven, 950–1015
- Lambert II, Count of Leuven, d. 1054
- Henry II, Count of Leuven, 1020–1078
- Godfrey I, Count of Leuven, 1060–1139
- Godfrey II, Count of Leuven, 1110–1142
- Godfrey III, Count of Leuven, 1140–1190
- Henry I, Duke of Brabant, 1165–1235
- Henry II, Duke of Brabant, 1207–1248
- Henry I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1244–1308
- Otto I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1272–1328
- Louis the Junker of Hesse, 1305–1345
- Hermann II, Landgrave of Hesse, 1341–1413
- Louis I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1402–1458
- Louis II, Landgrave of Hesse, 1438–1471
- William II, Landgrave of Hesse, 1469–1509
- Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse, 1504–1567
- William IV, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1532–1592
- Maurice, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1572–1632
- William V, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1602–1637
- William VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1629–1663
- Charles I, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1654–1730
- William VIII, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1682–1760
- Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel, 1720–1785
- Prince Frederick of Hesse-Kassel, 1747–1837
- Prince William of Hesse-Kassel, 1787–1867
- Prince Frederick William of Hesse-Kassel, 1820–1884
- Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse, 1868–1940
- Philipp, Landgrave of Hesse, 1896–1980
- Moritz, Landgrave of Hesse, 1926–2013
- Burke's Royal Families of the World I; ISBN 0-85011-023-8, p. 208.
- Notice of death, in German
- Burke's Royal Families of the World ISBN 0-85011-023-8, p. 202.
- Dobrzynski, Judith (2005-11-02). "German Princely Treasures Land on These Shores", The New York Times.
- Petty, Terrence (2005-12-23). "An adoration of art", St. Petersburg Times.
Moritz, Landgrave of HesseBorn: 6 August 1926 Died: 23 May 2013
Prince Philipp of Hesse
| Head of the House of Hesse
25 October 1980 – 23 May 2013
Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine
Elector of Hesse
25 October 1980 – 23 May 2013
Reason for succession failure:
Grand Duchy abolished in 1918
Electorate annexed by Prussia in 1866