Mount Compass, South Australia
|Population||1,731 (shared with other localities in the "State Suburb of Mount Compass") (2011 census)|
|Location||47 km (29 mi) South of Adelaide|
District Council of Yankalilla
|Region||Fleurieu and Kangaroo Island|
Mount Compass is a town in the Mount Lofty Ranges, on the A13 south of Adelaide, and north of Victor Harbor. It is a small community, traditionally supported by farming. Both market gardens and dairy have proved lucrative in the area. At the 2011 census, Mount Compass shared a population of 1,731 with adjoining localities.
Boundaries were created for the portion within the District Council of Yankalilla during August 1999 and for the portion in the Alexandrina Council during August 2000. The name is derived from Mount Compass, a nearby mountain, whose name was given in respect to the loss of compass at that place by George Gawler, the second Governor of South Australia in about 1840.
There is also a local area school that covers from years R-12 with the focus farm project that is run on the adjacent farm to the school.
Since 1973, Mount Compass has hosted the country's only Cow Race, the Compass Cup. Originally conceived as a way to bring together the surrounding communities by the late Marcy Stewart, it has become a regional institution that attracts thousands of visits to the town over the weekend.
Mount Compass Golf Club
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Mount Compass". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- "Search result for "Mount Compass (Locality Bounded)" (Record no. SA0008688) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and "Local Government Areas"". Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Postcode for Mount Compass, South Australia)". postcodes-australia.com. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Fleurieu Kangaroo Island SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 17 April 2017.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics MYPONGA (nearest station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Visit Alexandrina - Mount Compass - Tourist Information, Alexandrina Council, Accessed 25/9/07
- "Search result for "Mount Compass (Mountain)" (Record no. SA0008659) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities"". Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- http://www.compasscup.com.au/ Compass Cup