|• Derivation:||Maigh Bheag|
|• Meaning:||"Little plain"|
|• Meaning:||"Prominent townland"|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Plantation grant||Drapers Company|
|• Council||Mid Ulster District|
|• Total||163.46 acres (66.15 ha)|
|Irish grid ref||H8097|
Moybeg Kirley (locally [ˌmɔibeɡˈkʲïli], from Irish Maigh Bheag, meaning 'little plain' and Corrbahile meaning "prominent townland") is a townland lying within the civil parish of Kilcronaghan, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It lies in the north-west of the parish, with the Moyola River forming its northern boundary. It is bounded by the townlands of Drumconready, Drumcrow, Kirley, Moneyguiggy, and Moneyshanere. It was apportioned to the Drapers company.
The townland was part of Tobermore electoral ward of the former Magherafelt District Council, however in 1926 it was part of Carnamoney District Electoral Division as part of the Draperstown dispensary (registrar's) district of Magherafelt Rural District. It was also part of the historic barony of Loughinsholin.
In 2016, the PBS Masterpiece Theater created a mini-series called My Mother and Other Strangers. This series is based in a fictional village called "Moybeg".
- Northern Ireland Environment Agency. "NIEA Map Viewer". Archived from the original on 24 November 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- Toner, Gregory: Place-Names of Northern Ireland, page 131. Queen's University of Belfast, 1996, ISBN 0-85389-613-5
- Notes on the Place Names of the Parishes and Townlands of the County of Londonderry, 1925, Alfred Moore Munn, Clerk of the Crown and Peace of the City and County of Londonderry
- HistPop; County and County Borough of Londonderry, 1926, page 24
- HistPop; Area, population and number of houses, Vol. III, Ireland, 1881, page 698
- HistPop; County and County Borough of Londonderry, 1901, page 33
- HistPop; County of Londonderry, 1851, page 241
- Place Names NI - Moybeg Kirley
|This article related to the geography of County Londonderry, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|