2.02.201 / 2008-05-27
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows (XP+)|
|Type||Content delivery, desktop customization|
MyColors is a digital distribution platform for themes developed by Stardock. It allows users to skin the Windows graphical user interface. Sets of themes have been made in partnership with GM, Ford, HP, Dell, the NHL, NBA, and NCAA.
MyColors was created so that users could purchase and apply themes without having to worry about the underlying software. The themes are encrypted to reduce piracy. Individual parts can be mixed to create a custom theme with the corresponding Object Desktop software.
Visual styles - WindowBlinds skins that changes the appearance of the window borders, the start-bar and various other UI elements - are used in combination with IconPackager, which changes the appearance of the window icons. A typical icon pack will include custom desktop icons, folder icons and file icons. SoundPackager is usually also used to change the system sounds.
MyColors checks for updates to a theme and allows users to update the theme. Updated themes may include new functionality, fixes to the visual styles and higher resolution icons.
- Software firm adds school spirit to PCs, The Detroit News, January 25, 2007, retrieved February 1, 2010
- Stardock (April 3, 2007), Stardock and General Motors Reveal Branded Desktop for Corvette Enthusiasts, PR Newswire, retrieved February 10, 2010
- Brad Wardell (May 2, 2007), NHL Branded Desktops!, Stardock, retrieved February 10, 2010
- Brad Wardell (May 22, 2008), MyColors: The Public Launch, Stardock, retrieved February 10, 2010
- World’s first 3D PC surface technology and largest notebook display from HP, Manila Bulletin, November 25, 2009, retrieved February 10, 2010
- Lionel Menchaca (August 11, 2009), Dell's Latest Inspiron Mini: The Nickelodeon Edition, Dell, retrieved February 10, 2010
- Stardock (July 28, 2009), Stardock's Impulse and MyColors Software Certified for Windows 7, Earth Times, retrieved February 10, 2010