This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha)|
|Assumed office |
25 April 2016
16 June 2009 – 16 May 2014
National Advisory Council
|Vice-Chancellor of the |
Savitribai Phule Pune University
|Chief Economic Counsellor |
Da Afghanistan Bank
February 2006 – August 2006
|Chief Econimist |
Reserve Bank of India
September 2004 – February 2006
|Born||28 May 1953 (age 64)|
Nashik, Bombay State, India
|Children||1 Son (Tanmoy) |
1 Daughter (Apoorva)
|Alma mater||Ramnarain Ruia College|
University of Mumbai
Indiana University, USA
|Occupation||Economist, educationist, professor, writer|
Currently he is a Member of Rajya Sabha, the upper house of Indian Parliament. He previously served as member of the Planning Commission of India and the National Advisory Council. Prior to this, he worked as Vice Chancellor of Savitribai Phule Pune University, International Monetary Fund (IMF) and headed economic research at the Reserve Bank of India.
Jadhav is a recipient of 67 national and international awards including four Honorary D.Litt Degrees and the title Commander of the Order of Academic Palms by the Government of France.
Early life and education
Narendra Jadhav was born on 28 May 1953 to a Mahar Dalit family from the village of Ozar (Nashik District) and grew up in Mumbai suburb of Wadala. In 1956, his family convert to Buddhism. Jadhav attended Chhabildas High School, Dadar. He completed his BSc in Statistics from Ramnarain Ruia College, University of Mumbai in 1973 and MA in Economics from the University of Mumbai in 1975. He later earned a PhD in Economics from Indiana University, USA in 1986.
As a career economist, Jadhav worked for 31 years with the Reserve Bank of India, and those of Afghanistan and Ethiopia. He also worked as Adviser in the International Monetary Fund for over four years. He retired in October 2008 from the position of Principal Adviser and Chief Economist of the RBI. His writings on economics include: Ambedkar – An Economist Extraordinaire (2016), Monetary Policy, Financial Stability and Central Banking in India (2006), Re-emerging India – A Global Perspective (2005) and Monetary Economics for India (1994).
In 2006, Jadhav was appointed Vice Chancellor of the University of Pune. He enabled several initiatives aimed at improving the access and equity (through an Education Guarantee Scheme for underprivileged youth) and quality (through a complete revision of all 484 curricula). He also promoted the research environment through financial incentives and improved the governance through the Pune University Network project that connected the Main Campus with all 500+ Affiliated colleges using ICT. Jadhav also launched Samarth Bharat Abhiyan, a rural development program involving each college adopting a village to direct the youth power towards constructive social engagement in rural areas.
Jadhav has been Distinguished Professor in the Council for Social Development (CSD), New Delhi, with focused research on the New Education Policy for India. He is also serving as Emeritus Professor of Public Policy at MIT School of Government, Pune, teaching a range of Public Policy issues, especially Education, Health, Social Welfare and Economic Growth.
Jadhav's work at Pune led him to join the Planning Commission as a Member in-charge of Education, Labour and Employment, and Social Justice and Empowerment (2009–14), and as a Member, National Advisory Council (NAC) (2010–2014).
As a Member of the Planning Commission, Jadhav had a role in formulating the 12th Five Year Plan, especially in respect of Education and Skill Development. His contribution to formulation of the Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) scheme and developing the eco-system for Skills Development in India has been recognised. Equally noteworthy is his contribution to social justice through the Scheduled Caste Sub-Plan (SCSP), Tribal Sub-Plan (TSP) and Assessment and Monitoring Authority (AMA) for socio-religious communities.
National Advisory Council
As a Member of the National Advisory Council (NAC) Jadhav's notable contributions include formulation of National Food Security Bill, implementation of the Right to Education (RTE) Act 2009, and empowerment of SC, ST, Minorities and Denotified Nomadic Tribes (DNTs) through education, SC & ST Prevention of Atrocities, Rights of persons with Disabilities, Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) and Abolition of Manual Scavenging.
Jadhav has authored 31 official reports on a wide range of public policy issues. These include reports titled Preparation of Perspective Plan for Higher Education (Government of Maharashtra, 2015), National Skills Qualification Framework (Government of India, 2013), Amendments to the Factories Act, 1948 (Government of India, 2012), Amendments to the Apprenticeship Act, 1961 (Government of India, 2011) and Vision on Vocational Education and Training (Government of India, 2011). Other reports authored by Jadhav include Farmers' Suicides (Government of Maharashtra 2008), Development Needs of the Ladakh Region (Ministry of Home Affairs, 2011) and Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) (Government of India, 2013).
Member of Parliament
From April 2016, Dr Jadhav has been nominated as a member of parliament (MP) in Rajya Sabha.
Jadhav, has written or edited 37 books in three languages – 19 in English, 13 in Marathi, and 5 in Hindi, besides over 300 research papers and articles. These include 21 books on B. R. Ambedkar and a trilogy on Rabindranath Tagore, comprising an analytical biography, and translation of selected poems, short stories, plays, parodies, articles and speeches.
- Bharat Ratna Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar: An Intellectual Colossus, Great National Leader and Universal Champion of Human Rights Photo-Biography (Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai, 2016)
- Ambedkar: An Economist Extraordinaire (Konark Publishers, New Delhi, 2015) ISBN 9322008636
- Ambedkar: Awakening India’s Social Conscience (Konark Publishers, New Delhi, 2014) ISBN 9322008350
- Ambedkar Writes: Complete Writings of Dr Ambedkar (Edited) (2014) Vol.I : Political Writings ISBN 9322008342
- Ambedkar Writes: Complete Writings of Dr Ambedkar (Edited) (2014) Vol.II: Scholarly Writings (Sociology, Economics, Anthropology, Law, Constitution and Religion)(Konark Publishers, New Delhi, 2013) ISBN 9322008342
- Ambedkar Speaks: 301 Seminal Speeches (Edited) Vol I: Introduction, Autobiography Speeches, Guidance to Followers and Complete Bibliography ISBN 9789322008154
- Ambedkar Speaks: 301 Seminal Speeches (Edited) Vol II: Social, Economic, Religion, Law and Constitution ISBN 9789322008154
- Ambedkar Speaks: 301 Seminal Speeches (Edited) Vol III: Political Speeches (Konark Publishers, New Delhi) ISBN 9789322008154
- Untouchables: My Family’s Triumphant Journey Out of the Caste System in Modern India (California University Press, USA 2007 and Simon and Schuster, USA) ISBN 9780520252639
- Monetary Policy, Financial Stability and Central Banking in India (Macmillan India Ltd, New Delhi, 2006) ISBN 1403929025
- Re-emerging India – A Global Perspective (ICFAI University Press: Hyderabad, 2005) ISBN 8178817969
- Outcaste – A Memoir: Life and Triumphs of an Untouchable Family in India (Penguin, India, 2003) ISBN 0670049727
- Governors Speak (Edited) (Reserve Bank of India, 1997)
- CD Deshmukh Memorial Lectures (Edited) (Reserve Bank of India, 1996)
- Challenges to Indian Banking Competition, Globalization and Financial Markets (Edited) (Macmillan India Ltd, New Delhi, 1996) SBN: 0333930010
- Monetary Economics for India (Macmillan India Ltd, New Delhi, 1994) ISBN 033392603X
- Our Father and Us (Children’s Edition, Korean) (Gimmyoung Publishers, Korea 2009)
- Dr Ambedkar: Economic Thoughts and Philosophy (Popular Prakashan, Mumbai, 1992) ISBN 8171547311
- Macroeconomic Investment Management in LDCs – A Social Cost Benefit Approach (Indiana University, USA, 1986)
- Dr Ambedkar : Atmakatha Evam Jansanvad (Prabhat Prakashan , New Delhi, 2015)ISBN 9789350485859
- Dr Ambedkar : Samajik Vichar Evam Darshan (Prabhat Prakashan, New Delhi, 2015) ISBN 9789350485866
- Dr Ambedkar : Arthik Vichar Evam Darshan (Prabhat Prakashan , New Delhi, 2015) ISBN 9789350485873
- Dr Ambedkar : Rajneeti, Dharm Aur Sanvidhan Vichar (Prabhat Prakashan , New Delhi, 2015) ISBN 9789350485880
- Vishwa Manav Rabindranath Tagore (Prabhat Prakashan , New Delhi, 2015) ISBN 9789351863250
- Yugpravartak Mahamanav – Bharat Ratna Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar (photo-biography, Brihan Mumbai Mahanagar Palika, 2016)
- Pradnya Surya Dr Ambedkar: Samagra Vyacharik Charitra (Granthali, Mumbai, 2014)
- Pradnya Mahamanavachi: Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Samagra Lekhan Karya (Edited) Vol.I: Rajkiya Lekhan
- Pradnya Mahamanavachi: Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Samagra Lekhan Karya (Edited) Vol.II: Artha Shastra, Samaj Shastra, Kayda-Sanvidhan Aani Dharma Shastra (Granthali, Mumbai, 2013)
- LASAVI Mazhya Samagra Abhivyakticha (Granthali, Mumbai, 2013)
- Bol Mahamanavache: 500 Marmabhedi Bhashane (Edited) Vol. I: Atmanivedan, Anuyayi Margadarshan Aani Samagra Suchi
- Bol Mahamanavache: 500 Marmabhedi Bhashane (Edited) Vol. II: Samajik, Arthik, Dharmik Aani Kayda — Sanvidhan Vishayak Bhashane
- Bol Mahamanavache: 500 Marmabhedi Bhashane (Edited) Vol. III: Rajkiya Bhashane (Granthali, Mumbai, 2012)
- Ravindranath Tagore: Yuga Nirmata Vishvamanav (Granthali, Mumbai, 2011)
- Ravindranath Tagore: Samagra Sahitya Darshan (Granthali, Mumbai, 2011)
- Bhaya Shoonya Chitta Jeth: Ravindranathanchya 151 Pratinidhik Kavita (Granthali, Mumbai, 2010)
- Aamcha Baap Aan Amhi (Granthali, Mumbai. 1993)
- Dr Ambedkar: Arthik Vichar Aani Tatvadnyan (Sugava Prakashan, Pune, 1992)
Jadhav’s three autobiographical novels – Aamcha Baap Aan Amhi, (Marathi, 1993), Outcaste (English, 2002) and Untouchables (English, 2005) – depict the story of the struggle for human dignity by a Dalit family. Aamcha Baap Aan Amhi with 199 editions so far has reportedly become the largest selling book in the history of Marathi literature. Moreover, Untouchables and Aamcha Baap Aan Amhi have been translated into several Indian languages including Hindi, Gujarati, Kannada, Tamil, Urdu, Konkani, and Punjabi (Sahitya Akademi Award winner), besides French, Spanish, Korean and Thai.
- "Untouchables: My Family's Triumphant Journey Out of the Caste System in ... – Narendra Jadhav – Google Books". Books.google.co.in. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- Jadhav, Narendra (1994). Monetary economics for India. Delhi: Macmillan India. ISBN 033392603X.
- "Member's Profile". Planningcommission.gov.in. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "Plan panel's Jadhav is also in NAC | delhi". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "Nominated Members". 220.127.116.11. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Narendra Jadhav.|