National Register of Historic Places listings in Martin County, Minnesota
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Martin County, Minnesota. It is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Martin County, Minnesota, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in an online map.
There are 8 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county.
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||Orville P. and Sarah Chubb House||May 18, 1995
|209 Lake Ave.||Fairmont||Fairmont's oldest surviving house, built in 1867; associated with the town's founding and the broader settlement of southern Minnesota by New Englanders. Restored to period condition for tours and events.|
|2||Fairmont Opera House||July 2, 1980
|Downtown Plaza and Blue Earth Ave.||Fairmont||1901 theater, a well-preserved and longstanding venue for cultural and social events.|
|3||First Church of Christ, Scientist||May 19, 1988
|222 Blue Earth Ave., E.||Fairmont||1898 church noted for its Richardsonian Romanesque design by Harry Wild Jones and the unusual emergence of a Christian Science congregation in a small town soon after the movement's founding. Now the Red Rock Center for the Arts.|
|4||Fox Lake Site||April 8, 1994
|Weber Island in Fox Lake||Sherburn vicinity||First prehistoric habitation site in southwest Minnesota excavated by professional archaeologists, and the type site for the region's early Woodland Period phase.|
|5||Martin County Courthouse||September 22, 1977
|201 Lake Ave.||Fairmont||Courthouse built 1906–7, exemplifying the Renaissance/Baroque Revival influence on turn-of-the-20th-century public buildings through its design by architect Charles E. Bell and its interior artwork.|
|6||Sherburn Commercial Historic District||August 3, 1987
|Main St., N., between Front and 2nd Sts.||Sherburn||Two-block downtown historic district representing turn-of-the-20th-century commercial architecture and Sherburn's emergence as a railroad-based trade center, with 15 buildings constructed 1898–1908.|
|7||United States Post Office||May 12, 2008
|51–55 Downtown Plaza||Fairmont||1926 federal post office that transformed local life by facilitating the shipment of agricultural products and mail-order goods via parcel post, and by anchoring a new business district in Fairmont.|
|8||George Wohlheter House||June 20, 1975
|320 Woodland Ave.||Fairmont||Fairmont's most prominent residence, built in 1899 in transitional Queen Anne/Neoclassical architecture.|
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Minnesota
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Minnesota
- "National Register of Historic Places: Weekly List Actions". National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved on July 18, 2019.
- Numbers represent an ordering by significant words. Various colorings, defined here, differentiate National Historic Landmarks and historic districts from other NRHP buildings, structures, sites or objects.
- The eight-digit number below each date is the number assigned to each location in the National Register Information System database, which can be viewed by clicking the number.
- Granger, Susan; Kay Grossman (1994-08-15). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Chubb, Orville P. and Sarah, House (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- "About Chubb House". Chubb House. 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Gimmestad, Dennis A. (February 1980). National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form: Fairmont Opera House (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Granger, Susan (February 1986). National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form: First Church of Christ Scientist (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- "Red Rock Center for the Arts". Red Rock Center for the Arts. 2015. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Gibbon, Guy. "Chapter 10: Initial Woodland Complexes in Southwestern Minnesota". University of Minnesota, 2008-12. Accessed 2013-04-26.
- Johnson, Craig; Kim Breakey (February 1993). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Fox Lake Site". National Park Service.
- Nelson, Charles W.; Susan Zeik (1976-08-26). National Register of Historic Places Inventory -- Nomination Form: Martin County Courthouse (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- Granger, Susan (February 1986). National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form: Sherburn Commercial Historic District (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- Hoisington, Daniel J. (2008-01-01). National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: United States Post Office, Fairmont (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- VanBrocklin, Lynne; Charles W. Nelson (1975-03-10). National Register of Historic Places Inventory--Nomination Form: Wohlheter, George, Mansion (Report). National Park Service. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Register of Historic Places in Martin County, Minnesota.|
- Minnesota National Register Properties Database—Minnesota Historical Society