National Front (Italy, 1997)
|Political position||Third Position (self-declared)
|National affiliation||Social Alternative (2004–06)
The Right (2008–14)
|European Parliament group||No MEPs|
|Chamber of Deputies||
0 / 630
0 / 315
0 / 73
The National Front (Fronte Nazionale, FN) is an Italian far-right political party.
The FN had its roots in the Fiamma Tricolore when two leading radicals, Tomaso Staiti di Cuddia and Adriano Tilgher, were expelled from the party in 1997. As a response Tilgher formed his own group in September of that year, calling it Fronte Nazionale (a name already used twice before on the Italian far right) and basing it on the French National Front of Jean-Marie Le Pen. The party, which initially confined its operations largely to Rome, gained 18,000 votes in that city in the local elections of 1998.
The party began to expand in early 2000, seeking to work with other minor groups on the far right to form a united alternative to the Alleanza Nazionale. The group reconstituted under the FSN name after a merger with further dissident elements within the Fiamma Tricolore. In March 2003 supporters of the new group protested outside the Swiss embassy against the jailing of Gaston-Armand Amaudruz.
For the 2004 European election the party joined with Azione Sociale and Forza Nuova in the Alessandra Mussolini-led coalition Social Alternative, which captured a single seat in the European Parliament. They remained part of this coalition until its dissolution following poor results in the 2006 general election.
However, in 2013 the party comes out from The Right and regains its autonomy.
- Manifesto per la sovranità nazionale
- Stephen Roth Institute Italy Report 1997
- Stephen Roth Institute Italy Report 1998
- Stephen Roth Institute Italy Report 1999-2000
- Stephen Roth Institute Italy Report 2001-2
- Stephen Roth Institute Italy Report 2002-3
- Alfio Bernabei, "Mussolini Repositions Herself After Election Setback", Searchlight, No. 372, June 2006, p. 34
- "Biography" (in Italian). Adriano Tilgher. 28 December 2009. Archived from the original on 2013-07-25.
- Destra, il fascista Tilgher: Un Fronte Nazionale per essere padroni a casa nostra
|This article about a political party in Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|