|Notable awards||Premio Strega|
Niccolò Ammaniti was born in Rome. He studied Biological Sciences at university, and though he did not complete his degree, his first novel, Branchie (published by Ediesse in 1994, and then by Einaudi in 1997), drew on his unfinished dissertation. In 1999, Branchie was adapted into a movie with the same title. In 1995 Ammaniti and his father Massimo published the essay Nel nome del figlio. In 1996 he appeared with his sister in the low-budget movie Growing Artichokes in Mimongo.
In 1999 the novel Steal You Away (Ti prendo e ti porto via), was published and in 2001 I'm Not Scared (Io non ho paura), which won the 2001 Viareggio Prize and was adapted into a film directed by Gabriele Salvatores in 2003.
In 2009, he published Let the Games Begin (Che la festa cominci), and in 2010 Me and You (Io e te), which was later adapted into a movie directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. The script, co-written by Bertolucci, Ammaniti, and others, was nominated for Best Screenplay at the 2013 David di Donatello awards and at the 2013 Italian Golden Globe.
In 2015, he published the novel Anna.
List of works
- Branchie, Roma, Ediesse, 1994. ISBN 88-230-0135-8; Torino, Einaudi, 1997. ISBN 88-06-14354-9.
- Ti prendo e ti porto via, Milano, Mondadori, 1999. ISBN 88-04-46824-6.
- Io non ho paura, Torino, Einaudi, 2001. ISBN 88-06-14210-0.
- Come Dio comanda, Milano, Mondadori, 2006. ISBN 88-04-50279-7.
- Che la festa cominci, Torino, Einaudi, 2009. ISBN 978-88-06-19101-6.
- Io e te, Torino, Einaudi, 2010. ISBN 978-88-06-20680-2.
- Anna, Torino, Einaudi, 2015. ISBN 978-88-06-22775-3.
- O'Grady, Desmond (10 May 2003). "How to succeed without really failing". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Niccolò Ammaniti". Strega.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on 10 July 2008.
- "Biography". NiccoloAmmaniti.it. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- (in Italian) Niccolò Ammaniti, "Ai miei lettori", Branchie, Torino, Giulio Einaudi editore, 1997.
- Fumarola, Silvia (15 June 2013). "Sei David per Giuseppe Tornatoretrionfa ai David di Donatello 2013". la Repubblica. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Globi d'Oro 2013: tutte le nomination". Il Cinema Italiano (in Italian). 12 June 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2017.