Night in Calisia
|Night in Calisia|
|Studio album by Randy Brecker feat. Wlodek Pawlik Trio, Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra & Adam Klocek|
|Released||November 13, 2012|
|Recorded||March 3–4, 2011
Polskie Radio studios
|Label||Pawlik Relations/Summit Records|
Night in Calisia is a jazz album recorded by Randy Brecker, the Wlodek Pawlik Trio, the Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra and Adam Klocek. Composed to celebrate the 1850th anniversary of Kalisz, the six-part jazz suite was recorded in March 2011, and released in Poland on November 13, 2012, and in the United States on August 13, 2013 through Summit Records. The album won the 2014 Grammy Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album.
Background and recording
Night in Calisia is the third collaboration between Polish jazz pianist and composer Włodzimierz Pawlik and American trumpeter Randy Brecker – their first album, Turtles, was released in 1995, while Nostalgic Journey - Tykocin Jazz Suite was released through Summit Records in 2009.
To celebrate the 1850th anniversary of the Polish town of Kalisz, the director of the Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra Adam Klocek asked Pawlik to write a composition for the occasion. Randy Brecker, Wlodek Pawlik Trio (with Pawlik on piano, Paweł Pańta on double bass and Cezary Konrad on drums) and the Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Klocek played a concert in Kalisz on June 19, 2010. The album was recorded in the studios of Polskie Radio on March 3–4, 2011.
Night in Calisia is a six-part jazz suite. The title of the first track, "Night in Calisia", was inspired by the jazz standard by Dizzy Gillespie, "A Night in Tunisia" (1942). The third part of the suite, "Orienthology", is a reference to "Ornithology" (1946) by jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker.
"The Tykocin music is directly connected with the history of the Brecker's family battle with Michael's disease, (...) whereas the compositions for Kalisz are lacking any clear programme. I was rather playing with form, picturing completely abstract and surreal associations for example within the titles, referring to the wanderings of merchants on the ancient Amber Road, on which, according to Roman books, the settlement known as Calisia lay," said Włodzimierz Pawlik in an interview with Jazz Forum magazine.
In a review for All About Jazz, Nicholas F. Mondello praised the album calling it "a gem," an "exuberantly satisfying recording," and "a sprawling, beautiful and inspiring performance which, through Pawlik's effusive musical pageantry, Brecker's outstanding playing, and the orchestra's hometown fervor, appropriately helped the ancient town celebrate its 1850th anniversary."
Awards and accolades
In December 2012, Polish newspaper Rzeczpospolita hailed Night in Calisia the Jazz Album of the Year. In October 2013, the album won the Grand Prix Jazz Melomani award in Łódź, for the Album of the Year.
On January 26, 2014, the album won a Grammy Award for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album. It was Randy Brecker's sixth win, while Włodzimierz Pawlik became the first Polish jazz musician to ever win the award.
All music composed by Włodzimierz Pawlik.
|1.||"Night in Calisia"||10:54|
|4.||"Follow the Stars"||11:17|
|5.||"Quarrel of the Roman Merchants"||10:59|
- Randy Brecker – trumpet
- Wlodek Pawlik Trio
- Włodzimierz Pawlik – piano
- Paweł Pańta – double bass
- Cezary Konrad – drums
- Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra
- Adam Klocek – conducting
Charts and certifications
|Poland||November 13, 2012||Pawlik Relations||CD|
|United States||August 13, 2013||Summit Records||CD, digital download|
|Poland||January 25, 2014||Pawlik Relations/Fonografika||CD (reissue)|
- "Nowa płyta: Włodek Pawlik "Night In Calisia"" (in Polish). jazzsoul.pl. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Night in Calisia (feat. Wlodek Pawlik Trio, Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra & Adam Klocek) by Randy Brecker". iTunes. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "56th Annual GRAMMY Awards Winners & Nominees". Grammy.com. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Grammy dla Polaka! Muzyczne Oscary także dla Daft Punk, Lorde, Led Zeppelin...". Gazeta Wyborcza (in Polish). January 27, 2014. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Nostalgic Journey - Tykocin Jazz Suite by Randy Brecker". iTunes. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Dusza, Marek (December 7, 2013). "Włodek Pawlik nominowany do Grammy". Rzeczpospolita (in Polish). Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Plays Wlodek Pawlik's Night in Calisia - Randy Brecker, Wlodek Pawlik". AllMusic. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Mondello, Nicholas F. (September 28, 2013). "Randy Brecker: Night in Calisia (2013)". All About Jazz. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Dusza, Marek (December 18, 2012). "Zachwycił orkiestrowy jazz". Rzeczpospolita (in Polish). Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart". OLiS. Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Polish album certifications – Randy Brecker feat. Wlodek Pawlik Trio, Kalisz Philharmonic Orchestra & Adam Klocek – Night in Calisia" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry.
- "Night In Calisia" (in Polish). FonoSzop. Retrieved February 2, 2014.