Nils Landgren (musician)
Landgren in concert
|Birth name||Nils Lennart Landgren|
|Born||15 February 1956|
|Genres||Jazz, R&B, funk|
|Associated acts||Ball of Fire, Nils Landgren Funk Unit|
Between 1972 and 1978 he studied classical trombone at the music college in Karlstad, Sweden and continued his education in the university in Arvika. After meeting the Swedish folk-jazz pioneer Bengt-Arne Wallin and trombonist Eje Thelin, Landgren was persuaded to move from his strict classical studies to improvisation and to begin the development of his own sound and approach to music.
After his graduation, Landgren moved to Stockholm to work as a professional trombone player. He was soon touring with the successful Swedish pop star, Björn Skifs. Skifs's band, Blue Swede, recorded a number one hit song in the U.S. pop charts with "Hooked on a Feeling". In 1981, Thad Jones invited Landgren to join his big band, called Ball of Fire, as the lead trombonist. Landgren has worked in many genres: jazz, rock, soul, hip hop, and big band. By his own reckoning, he has contributed to at least 500 albums by such international stars as ABBA, The Crusaders, Eddie Harris, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Wyclef Jean, and Herbie Hancock.
In 1983, he recorded and released his debut album as a solo artist. Planet Rock was followed by Streetfighter (1984), You Are My Number One (1985), Miles from Duke (1987) with Bengt-Arne Wallin, Chapter Two 1 (1987), Chapter Two 2 and Follow Your Heart (1989). Between 1985 and 1987, he performed as an actor, singer, trombonist, and dancer in over 360 performances of the Swedish "play of the year", SKÅL, and apperead in several TV-films as an actor.
In 1992, the first performances and recording of the Nils Landgren Unit took place. His breakthrough beyond Scandinavia occurred in 1994 at the Jazz Baltica Festival at Salzau, Germany. The "Unit" became the Nils Landgren Funk Unit. The album Live in Stockholm (ACT) was released that year and was the foundation for the collaboration with Siegfried Loch and his then nascent ACT label.
Awards and honors
- Jazz Award in Germany for Paint It Blue, 1997
- Tore Ehrling Prize, Swedish Society of Popular Composers, 2002
Discography (in selection)
- 1983: Planet Rock (Frituna/ACT)
- 1984: Streetfighter (Frituna/ACT)
- 1985: You Are My Nr. 1 (Frituna/ACT)
- 1990: Follow Your Heart (Caprice/ACT)
- 1992: Red Horn (Caprice/ACT)
- 1993: Ballads (ACT, 1993/98)
- 1996: Gotland (ACT)
- 2001: The First Unit (ACT)
- 2002: Sentimental Journey (ACT)
- 2016: Some Other Time – A Tribute to Leonard Bernstein (ACT)
Nils Landgren Funk Unit
- 1995: Live in Stockholm (ACT, 1994–1995), with Maceo Parker
- 1996: Paint It Blue (ACT)
- 1998: Live in Montreux (ACT)
- 1999: 5000 Miles (1999) (ACT)
- 2001: Fonk Da World (ACT)
- 2004: Funky ABBA (ACT)
- 2007: License to Funk (ACT)
- 2010: Funk for Life (ACT)
- 2013: Teamwork (ACT)
- 2014: Eternal Beauty (ACT)
- 2017: Unbreakable (ACT)
- 1985: Skål! (Frituna/ACT), with Martin Ljung, Siw Malmkvist, Thomas Hellberg, Beatrice Järås, Örjan Ramberg & Sharon Dyall
- 1987: Miles from Duke (Phono Suecia/ACT), with Bengt-Arne Wallin
- 1987: Chapter Two 1 (ACT) with Johan Norberg
- 1989: Chapter Two 2 (ACT) with Johan Norberg
- 1991: Untitled Sketches (ACT), with Tomasz Stanko
- 1997: Swedish Folk Modern (ACT, 1997–98) with Esbjörn Svensson
- 2000: Layers of Light (ACT, 1999–2001), with Esbjörn Svensson
- 2003: I Will Wait For You (ACT), with Rigmor Gustafsson & Flæskekvartetten
- 2004: Close To You (ACT), with Rigmor Gustafsson & The Jacky Terrasson Trio – Celebrating Dionne Warwick
- 2005: Creole Love Call (ACT), with Joe Sample & Ray Parker Jr.
- 2005: Salzau Music on the Water (ACT), with Lars Danielsson & Christopher Dell
- 2006: Shapes (ATC), with Wolfgang Haffner, feat. Landgren & Lars Danielsson
- 2006: Christmas with My Friends (ACT) with Viktoria Tolstoy, Jeanette Köhn, Sharon Dyall, Ida Sandlund et al.
- 2008: Acoustic Shapes (ACT), with Wolfgang Haffner, feat. Landgren & Hubert Nuss
- 2008: Christmas with My Friends II (ACT), with Jeanette Köhn, Jessica Pilnäs, Sharon Dyall, Ida Sand, Jonas Knutsson, Johan Norberg & Eva Kruse
- 2009: Chapter Two (ACT), with Johan Norberg
- 2011: The Moon, the Stars and You (ACT), with Richard Galliano, Lars Danielsson, Joe Sample, Michael Wollny, Rasmus Kihlberg, Steve Gadd and Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra
- 2012: Christmas with My Friends III (ACT), with Sharon Dyall, Jonas Knutsson, Jeanette Köhn, Eva Kruse, Jessica Pilnäs, Ida Sand, and Johan Norberg
- 2014: Christmas with My Friends IV (ACT), with Jonas Knutsson, Johan Norbert, Jeanette Köhn, Jessica Pilnäs, Sharon Dyall, Eva Kruse and Ida Sand
- 2016: Christmas with My Friends V (ACT)
- 2018: Christmas with My Friends VI (ACT)
- "Nils Landgren (Schweden) Posaune". Wollie-Kaiser.de. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Monger, James. "Nils Landgren: Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 23 September 2010.
- "Nils Landgren – Esbjörn Svensson". Last.fm. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- Kelman, John (22 April 2008). "Wolfgang Haffner: Acoustic Shapes Review". All About Jazz. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Nils Landgren- trombone, vocals". ACTmusic.com. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nils Landgren.|