|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Nokturnal Mortum at Hell Fast Attack 2015
|Genres||Symphonic black metal
|Labels||No Colours, Nuclear Blast, Oriana Music|
|Associated acts||Temnozor, Aryan Terrorism, Astrofaes, Drudkh, Hate Forest|
Nokturnal Mortum originally started as a death metal band called Suppuration in 1991, then turned to black metal and changed name to Crystaline Darkness but "had to change the name back in 1993/94 to Nocturnal Mortum because there already existed a band with that name in western underground." Then the band "changed a letter so that we wouldn't find a band with the same name again like it was the case with Crystaline Darkness." Nokturnal Mortum gained their first Western recognition with the release of their album Goat Horns, their second full-length album, notable for having two keyboardists play on the album, often on the same song, and for mixing traditional Ukrainian music with black metal.
The band's first albums were released through The End Records and (as licence pressings) through Nuclear Blast, but the label and the band separated after releasing the album Nechrist and a re-release of the Lunar Poetry demo due to a disagreement. According to Varggoth, "We had a contract with The End Records but it was broken. We have different points of view. They didn't like our policy, we didn't like the way they do business. They owe us some money. That was enough for a conflict."
In autumn of 2014 band frontman Knjaz Varggoth (real name Yevhen Gapon, Ukrainian: Євген Гапон) published the statement declaring that he and Nokturnal Mortum was out of politics in order to avoid rumors concerning his personal views and band ideology.
In the beginning, the band still described their music as a "Lunar Black Metal". In the cover of "Lunar Poetry," he demanded the killing of the Christians, the destruction of their churches, and the return to the gods of their fathers, and described Lord Jesus Christ as "crucified hippie"
"To be destroyed, who want to live without a false and hypocrisy, who are eager to learn the eternity, who want to Turn theirs souls to the belief of our father-gods.
We want to see the sky in red by total purifying fire. Millions of stupid idiots are swallowing the maggots of the crucified 'hippy'.This message is adressed to all people who really believe that Christianism have [sic!] to be destroyed, who want to live without false and hypocrisy, who are eager to learn the eternity, who want to turn theirs souls to the belief of our father-gods.
We want to see the sky coloured in red by total purifying fire. Millions of stupid idiots are swallowing the maggots of the crucified ‘hippy’.
Poor creatures of their own imagination speaks about eternal soul don’t paying [sic!] any attention to the fact that their souls are currently dead.
Wolves! Your destiny is in your hands. Cross-loving winbs [sic!] have to be killed, their churches destroyed, this age have [sic!] to be burned on a sepultural bonfire. By the name of our ancient gods, spirits of the nature and mystic eternity we bless you!“
From the EP Marble Moon , the band showed an open nationalsocialist sentiment there, in Hakenkreuzen in the logo of the band and on To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire in the picture of and the comment "NOKTURNAL MORTUM & KOLOVRAT PRODUCTIONS is a proud member of THE PAGAN FRONT".From the album Нехристь or NeChrist , this was also shown in texts like "The Call of Aryan Spirit". In interviews, appearances, and on her website, the band also revealed their sentiments and their music itself as "Paganism NSBM , The title of the book is "Black Metal Between Satanism, Paganism, and Neo-Nazism""NSBM". Statements and texts show clear hits Neo - völkischer as well as Neopaganism ideas, and on some albums a tendency to the ariosophy or a prominence of the population of the cultural Europe as an Aryan. In 2008, the band's singer and guitarist, Knjaz Varggoth, claimed that he had no interest in political tendencies and had never viewed Nokturnal Mortum as a political band. But his ideology and the lyrics of the album Weltanschauung published in 2005 are influenced by the writings of the esoteric Hitlerist and Holocaust denial Miguel Serrano Frostkamp ". In addition, the band described the World War II in the song The Taste of Victory as a anti-Semitism and the consequences Jewish conspiracy heated brother war of European peoples:
Though it’s your brother stands on other side still it’s time to fullfill the orders to kill
The beast thirsts for Aryan blood squeezing down his greedy claws
With a stolen power he forces brothers to whet against each other
By slyness the blood has been spilled pride has been forgotten and defamed
But the memory still lives in our hearts […]
What incited Germans to go against slavs who made Russia to rot Ukraine
Who sucked power from the world like a vampire who feels himself a master today
Towers have fallen but the persons do stand firm and the Mason’s pyramides do stare into our souls
The taste of victory is bitterness and sarcasm
It’s price was Shekel and their scourge upon our trampled backs
Oh world beware new master this desert breed won’t die on their own
If they weren’t burnt those 60 years ago they should be burnt today|Autor=Nokturnal Mortum|Quelle=The Taste of Victory|lang=en|Übersetzung=Obwohl es
– Nokturnal Mortum: The Taste of Victory
- 1997 – Goat Horns
- 1998 – To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire
- 2000 – Нехристь
- 2004 – Мировоззрение
- 2005 – Weltanschauung (English version of "Мировоззрение" with alternate instrumentals between songs)
- 2009 – Голос Сталі
- 2017 – Істина (upcoming album)
- 1997 – Return of the Vampire Lord (re-released with Marble Moon on CD in 2003)
- 1997 – Marble Moon (re-released with Return of the Vampire Lord on CD in 2003)
- 2003 – The Taste of Victory
- 1992 – Ecclesiastical Blasphemy (as Suppuration)
- 1993 – Mi Agama Khaz Mifisto (as Crystaline Darkness)
- 1995 – Twilightfall (re-released on CD in 2003)
- 1995 – Black Clouds over Slavonic Lands (re-released as bonus tracks on 2005 CD re-release of Lunar Poetry)
- 1996 – Lunar Poetry (re-released several times in different formats)
- 1996 – Вече(split with Lucifugum)
- 1997 – Path of the Wolf / Return of the Vampire Lord (Metalagen Records). Split tape with Lucifugum.
- 2007 – Eastern Hammer (four-way split EP with Graveland, North and Temnozor featuring a new version of "Kolyada")
- 2016 – The Spirit Never Dies (split with Graveland (Propaganda label))
- 2004 – Eleven Years Among the Sheep (compilation of old, unreleased, demo, and Suppuration & Crystaline Darkness songs)
- 2016 – 22 Years Among the Sheep
- И.Симоненко Между молотом и наковальней. Гид по Хард-року и Метал-музыке Украины (p. 20)/ Игорь Симоненко. - Винница : Нилан : Rockinbooker Publishing, 2015. - 167,  с. : фот. - ISBN 978-966-924-116-0
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Nokturnal Mortum – Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Sonia: INTERVIEW WITH NOKTURNAL MORTUM.
- Aaron McKay: The Genesis of the End. CoC interviews Andreas Katsambas of The End Records.
- Nokturnal Mortum - "NeChrist" CD Review
- "Nokturnal Mortum Interview « Frostkamp Magazine". 2008-08-05. Retrieved 2010-01-28.