Northland rugby league team
|Nickname(s)||Swords, Wild Boars, Storm|
|Competition||New Zealand Rugby League|
|Rugby League Cup||1931|
The Northland rugby league team are a rugby league team that represents the Northland Region in New Zealand Rugby League competitions. They are based in Whangarei. They currently compete in the Albert Baskerville Trophy as the Northern Swords.
Between 2006 and 2007 they were part of the Bartercard Cup, playing under the name the Northern Storm. Northland was originally known as North Auckland and has previously used the nickname the Wild Boars.
The 2015 captain is Chris Bamford.
2006-2007: Bartercard Cup
In the Northern Storm's debut season in 2006 the club performed poorly, managing only two wins and two draws from eighteen matches. They finished in last position on the table, collecting the Wooden Spoon.
|2006||18||2||2||14||314||802||-488||6||Wooden Spoon (Ten)||N/A|
Before the season started 2006 Head Coach Geoff Morton moved South and joined the Counties Manukau Jetz. He was replaced by Phil Marsh. The Storm started the season strongly with big wins against the Jetz (54-28) and Central Falcons (48-24). However they then suffered heavy losses to both the Waitakere Rangers (66-16) and league leaders the Auckland Lions (70-8). The squad showed improvement since 2006 but they again finished near the bottom of the table.
- Coffey, John and Bernie Wood Auckland, 100 years of rugby league, 1909-2009, 2009. ISBN 978-1-86969-366-4.
- Big crowd expected to farewell the Storm The Northern Advocate, 17 August 2007
- Thousands farewell Ngati Haua stalwart The Northern Advocate, 22 May 2006
- Storm trio take a step up The Northern Advocate, 25 August 2006
- Northern Swords NZRL.co.nz