Nyagak III Hydroelectric Power Station
|Nyagak III Power Station|
Map of Uganda showing the location of
Nyagak III Power Station
|Dam and spillways|
|Normal elevation||1,380 m (4,530 ft)|
|Name||Nyagak III Hydroelectric Power Station|
|Commission date||2018 (expected)|
|Installed capacity||(planned) 5.5 MW (7,400 hp)|
The power station will be located across the Nyagak River in Nyapea Sub County, Okoro County, Zombo District, in the West Nile sub-region of the Northern Region of Uganda. This is approximately 7 kilometres (4 mi) north of the town of Paidha, close to the border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in close proximity to, but downstream of, the existing Nyagak I Power Station.
In September 2010, an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) was concluded by Lahmeyer International GmbH, a German consulting engineering firm. The Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL) would develop Nyagak III through a Public Private Partnership (PPP). In 2013, the International Finance Corporation assisted UEGCL to identify and select an investor from the private sector, who would invest equity and arrange further debt and equity financing for the project. That investor would then design, develop, and operate the development under a PPP agreement with UEGCL. This selection process was expected to last approximately one year, beginning in July 2013. The selected private investor is a consortium consisting of Hydromax Limited and Dott Services Limited. UEGCL and the consortium then formed a special purpose vehicle, Genmax Nyagak Limited, that would build, operate, and manage the power station.
In 2011, the construction of Nyagak III Power Station was anticipated to cost approximately US$14 million. The power generated would be evacuated via the existing 33 kilovolt transmission power lines linking the towns of Paidha, Nebbi, Bondo, Okollo, and Arua, constructed at an estimated cost of UGX:44.2 billion (€13 million) between 2013 and 2015 following the development of the Nyagak Power Station.
- UEGCL (4 August 2015). "Uganda Electricity Generation Company: Nyagak III Small Hydro Power Plant (5.5MW)". Kampala: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL). Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- Herter, Marco (21 June 2010). "Impact of Climate Change On Small Hydropower Plants In The West Nile Region, Uganda" (PDF). Hs-Rottenburg.net. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- UEGCL) (18 June 2013). "Selection of A Private Investor for Development of Nyagak III Hydro Power Plant Under A Public Private Partnership Arrangement" (PDF). Uganda Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEGCL). Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Odyek, John (2 November 2015). "Construction agreement for Nyagak III Hydro Power signed". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- CRO (9 November 2015). "Nyagak III Small Hydro Power Project in Uganda to be constructed". Constructionreviewonline.com (CRO). Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- DEVEX (June 2011). "Legal Consultants for Nyagak III Uganda Small Hydro (Firm)". Devex.com (DEVEX). Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Ondoga, Ayiga (15 November 2013). "West Nile power line extension begins". New Vision. Retrieved 15 February 2016.