Illustration of the ORS-1 satellite
|Bus||ATK satellite bus[clarification needed]|
|Launch mass||434 kilograms (957 lb)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||1 July 2011, 03:09UTC|
|Launch site||Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport LP-0B|
|Perigee||423 kilometers (263 mi)|
|Apogee||427 kilometers (265 mi)|
|Epoch||January 13, 2015, 04:45:04 UTC|
USA-231, or ORS-1 (Operationally Responsive Space-1) is an American reconnaissance satellite which was launched in 2011 from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility, Virginia by a Minotaur I launch vehicle. It is the first operational satellite of the Operationally Responsive Space Office. It is equipped with a SYERS 2A sensor.
ORS-1 satellite is designed to provide orbital space imagery of Southwest Asia and to enhance battlespace awareness to operational field commanders. The ORS-1 will undergo a 30-day trial and adjustment check before the ORS Office turns over it operations to USAF’s 1st Space Operations Squadron at Schriever AFB, Colorado.
||It has been suggested that this section be split out into another article titled Senior Year Electro-Optical Reconnaissance System. (Discuss) (March 2016)|
SYERS 2 is an optical and infrared camera with a 40 cm aperature and a field of view larger than 2 degree. It uses Time Delay and Integration CCD sensors to compensate for ground motion, resulting in a resolution of 1m (NIIRS 4) from a nominal 300 km orbit. SYERS 2 is supplied by the Goodrich Corporation.
- 2011 in spaceflight
- NASA web page on ORS 1
- SYERS 2 Reconnaissance Sensor(Goodrich acquired by UTS Aerospace, link now broken - try ISR systems and )
- "UCS Satellite Database". Union of Concerned Scientists. 1 September 2013. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- Church, Aaron, Assoc. Editor (August 2011). "Air Force World – Minotaur on the Chesapeake". Air Force Magazine. Vol. 94 no. 8. Air Force Association. p. 17. ISSN 0730-6784. Retrieved August 4, 2011..
- Peat, Chris (January 13, 2015). "ORS 1 (USA 231) - Orbit". Heavens-Above. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Christy, Robert. "2011". Zarya Diaries. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- Morring, Jr., Frank (2011-06-27). "ORS-1 Satellite Set For Launch". Aviation Week.
- Stanley Kishner; David Flynn; Charles Cox (2006). "E-O Reconnaissance Payloads for Responsive Space: Leveraging Airborne Sensor Investments" (PDF). AIAA 4th Responsive Space Conference 2006.
- Voorhees, Carla (2011-06-28). "ORS-1 Imaging Satellite Scheduled For Liftoff". dodlive.mil.