Odd Man (comics)
|First appearance||Detective Comics #487 (1979)|
|Created by||Steve Ditko|
|Alter ego||Clayton "Clay" Stoner|
The Odd Man is a fictional comic book hero created by Steve Ditko. The character was intended to first appear in Shade, the Changing Man #9 but instead first appeared in Detective Comics #487 in December 1979.
Fictional character biography
Clayton "Clay" Stoner is a private detective (height: 5'11", weight: 160 lbs) living in River City. He has blue eyes and blond hair which changes to black hair when he acts as a vigilante wearing mismatched clothing under the name Odd Man. He uses his wits and an elaborate series of gadgets to disorient and confuse his opponents. These include a weighted extended tie, a spray he developed which melts certain plastics, gloves that emit powder or smoke when he claps his hands together, and a slippery oil spray. He also has the ability to make his enemies black out, presumably through the use of one of his sprays or concoctions.
"He came from nowhere, garbed in a confused costume that would make a carnival clown blush with embarassment [sic]. His weapons were absurd -- impossible! But somehow he became the terror of criminals, and everyone began to wonder ... who is the Odd Man?" (from “The Odd Man” by Steve Ditko. Published in Detective Comics #487.)
The Odd Man was introduced in an eponymous story that had him pitted against the supposed reincarnation of the first Nile Queen and her Pharaoh consort.
- Detective Comics #487 (Odd Man—debut, originally planned for Shade, the Changing Man #9) (December 1979 – January 1980)
- Superboy #65 (August 1999)
- "Odd Man - Steve Ditko - DC Comics - Character Profile". writeups.org. Retrieved 2014-07-07.
- "Obscure DC Comics Characters: O". cosmicteams.com. Retrieved 2014-07-07.
- "Detective Comics #487". Grand Comics Database. Retrieved 2014-07-07.
- "The Odd Man". thrillingdetective.com. Retrieved 2014-07-07.