The shrine of Khoo Pak By Usman Jaj 15GD
|• Total||199 km2 (77 sq mi)|
|Elevation||105 m (344 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
|Number of Union councils||10|
Okara (Punjabi, Urdu: اوکاڑا), is the capital city of Okara District in the Punjab province of Pakistan. The name Okara is derived from Okaan, the name of a type of tree. The city is located southwest of the city of Lahore and Faisalabad is 100 km by passing away Ravi River. It is famous for its agriculture-based economy and cotton mills. The nearest major city to Okara is Sahiwal, formerly known as Montgomery.
Okara is a fairly large district in Pakistan in terms of population.There are famous Pakistan military dairy farms, especially famous for their cheese, situated in Okara. These farms were established before the creation of Pakistan in 1947. the privately run Mitchell's farms also are located in the nearby town, Renala Khurd, in the Okara District. Okara's postal code is 56300.
Okara is a relatively new agricultural city; during the period of British rule there was a forest of Okaan where the city has been re-built, and from this the name of the city was derived. During British rule, the area was part of Montgomery District and contained a large saltpeter refinery. A large number of textile mills are located in Okara. The predominantly Muslim population supported the Muslim League and the Pakistan Movement. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the Muslim refugees settled in the Okara District. In 1982, the city became the headquarters of the newly created Okara District. Okara has had a railway line since 1892.
Okara is famous for its cattle breed known as Sahiwal and a Water buffalo breed known as Niliravi. It is very rich in livestock population and production. Livestock Production Research Institute Bahadar Nagar Farm is a very large government farm near Okara. The farm has a large number of cows, buffalo, bulls (for reproduction), goats and sheep.
The majority of the population of Okara are Punjabi speaking Muslims. The main tribes and clans include:Zaidi,Nuqvi,Rizvi,Kaazmi,Gillaani,Kirmaani Muslim Raajpoot Clans as (Toor, Bhutti,Nonaari, Siyal, Wuttoo, Rungurh, Kumyaana etc.), Shaikh, Lodhi, Khurls, Kumboh, Khaanzaada, Noon Arains and the Jhakhar are prominent. However, the Jut Muslim population is less compared to other communities. The major politician in Okara is Munzoor Ahmed Wuttoo who was the former Minister for Shomaali Ilaaqa Jaat and Azaad Kushmeer of Pakistan, Okara city was established in the nineteenth century by the British Raaj.
The city of Okara is renowned in producing of Maize, potato and Dairy products. Okara is known as Pakistan's largest city for production of these commodities.
- Iqbal Educational Complex
- Ashfaq Educational school
- M.S.Scholar’s High School Okara
- Suffa Educational Complex
- Government MC Model High School,
- Government Islamia High School(City Campus),
- Government Islamia High School(New Campus)
- Government CMR High School
- Government Sutlej High School
- Government High School 48/3R Okara
- Government High School Chak NO.37/4-L Jhakhraan waala
- Government Degree College Okara,
- concordia college okara.
- Suffa Educational Complex School and College Okara,
- DPS School and College Okara
- Punjab College Okara.
- Falcon Public School Okara.
- Superior College Okara.
- Cadet College Okara
- Vocational Training Institute Okara.
- University of Okara is located in Okara. It has two campuses, one is located inside the city near Samadpura and the other one is located on 10 km highway to Lahore.
- University of Agriculture is also setting down its campus in Okara. This campus is also located on highway to Lahore.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Okara.|
- Tehsils & Unions in the District of Okara - Government of Pakistan Archived February 9, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Okara, a neglected city
- Punjab - Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 312.
- Punjab Agriculture Department