|• Mayor||Christof Bolay|
|• Total||22.81 km2 (8.81 sq mi)|
|Elevation||348 m (1,142 ft)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||0711, 07158|
Ostfildern is a town in the district of Esslingen in Baden-Württemberg in southern Germany. It is located approximately 8 km southeast of Stuttgart. It was formed in 1975 out of a fusion of the previously separate boroughs of Nellingen (including Parksiedlung), Ruit, Kemnat and Scharnhausen and currently has approximately 37,000 inhabitants.
Ostfildern is situated in the east of the Filder area, a fertile plateau south of Stuttgart. It is bordered to the south by the Körsch river, which flows into the Neckar.
The town of Ostfildern was formed on 1 January 1975 from the fusion of the formerly independent boroughs of Nellingen, Ruit, Kemnat and Scharnhausen.
¹ census results
Mayors since 1975
- 1975: Richard Schall,
- 1975–1997: Gerhard Koch, (1945-1999), Mayor, since 1. July 1976 Lord Mayor
- 1997–2005: Herbert Rösch, (born 1943), Lord Mayer
- since 2005: Christof Bolay, (born 1968), Lord Mayor (SPD)
Ostfildern has a vibrant cultural life in music and theater area. The most famous theater group of the city are the sliding block. For events, the center of the hall in Nellingen has two concert halls and theaters, which were built in 1989 on the site of the old tram depot.
Ostfildern has only a few historical buildings. In Nellingen district are still some buildings of the monastery square obtained, namely the provost, the old rectory of 1565 or the fruit box with gables. The since the 1990s rising Scharnhauser Park often received awards for design and architecture. Award winners are the brick school by Arno Lederer, the children's house of Janson and Wolfrum and the point blocks of Kohlhoff and Kohlhoff. For the overall concept of the new district, Ostfildern won the Deutscher Städtebaupreis in 2006. Also the Koersch Viaduct, inaugurated in 1995, is worth noting.
Economic importance has Ostfildern mainly as a printing and publishing city. Since the 1960s, the business location Ostfildern has become a focus of the printing and publishing industry in the region. Well-known companies are Jan Thorbecke Verlag, MairDumont, Schwabenverlag, J.Fink Mediengruppe. With the software manufacturer agorum Software, an IT company is based in Ostfildern. The company develops and distributes the open source document management system "Agorum core". In addition, the machine industry is also present, like in the whole region. Since 2003, the German Automobil Treuhand (DAT) residents in Scharnhäuser Park . Festo built in 2014 in the district Scharnhausen for 70 million euros a production facility with learning factory.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Philipp Matthäus Hahn (1739-1790), pastor and inventor
- Ralph Bergmann, (born 1970), national volleyball team
- Cassandra Steen (born 1980), soul singer
- Stefan Schumacher (born 1981), cyclist
- Manuel Späth (vorn 1985), handball player
- "Gemeinden in Deutschland nach Fläche, Bevölkerung und Postleitzahl am 30.09.2016". Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 2016.
- "Open Source DMS, ECM, Dokumentenmanagement, Archivieren, Workflow: Impressum" (in German). Impressum der agorum Software GmbH.
- Martin-W. Buchenau: "Firmen müssen viel mehr zusammenarbeiten." handelsblatt.com, 10. Juli 2014, retrieved 10. July 2014