Ottawa Township, Putnam County, Ohio
|Ottawa Township, Putnam County, Ohio|
Holy Family Catholic Church at New Cleveland
Location of Ottawa Township in Putnam County
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (93.9 km2)|
|• Land||36.2 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||709 ft (216 m)|
|• Density||219.8/sq mi (84.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086864|
Ottawa Township is one of the fifteen townships of Putnam County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 7,961 people in the township, 2,675 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township - north
- Van Buren Township - northeast corner
- Blanchard Township - east
- Riley Township - southeast corner
- Pleasant Township - south
- Union Township - southwest
- Greensburg Township - west
- Palmer Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Putnam County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kinder, George D. (1915). History of Putnam County, Ohio : its peoples, industries, and institutions. B.F. Bowen. p. 131.
- Warren, Robert (May 31, 1953). "Blanchard River Brought Pioneers To Putnam". Toledo Blade. p. 3. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.