Our Children's Trust
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Our Children's Trust is an American nonprofit organization that has filed several lawsuits on behalf of youth plaintiffs against governments, arguing that they are infringing on the youths' rights to a stable climate system.
Juliana v. United States
Juliana, et al. v. United States of America, et al. is a lawsuit filed in 2015 that is being brought by 21 youth plaintiffs against the United States and several of its executive branch positions and officers, also formerly including President Donald Trump and former President Barack Obama. The plaintiffs, represented by the non-profit organization Our Children's Trust, include Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, the members of Martinez's organization Earth Guardians, and on behalf of future generations represented by climatologist James Hansen. Some fossil fuel and industry groups were also initially named as defendants but were later dropped by a judge at their request.
The lawsuit asserts that the government violated the youths' rights by allowing activities that harmed the climate and sought the government to adopt methods for reducing carbon dioxide emissions. The lawsuit is at the leading edge of an area of environmental law referred to as "atmospheric trust litigation", a concept based on the public trust doctrine and international responsibility related to the government's control over natural resources in the interest of public benefit. While previous lawsuits in a similar vein have been dismissed by U.S. Courts, Juliana v. United States gained attention in 2016 when U.S. District Court of Oregon Judge Ann Aiken upheld the idea that access to a clean environment was a fundamental right, allowing the case to proceed. Since then, the government has sought to dismiss the case for various concerns, which has delayed the case's hearing at the district court level. The case is currently awaiting rescheduling of the District Court trial following the Supreme Court's dismissal of the government's request to stay the trial.
This material has been copied from the first paragraph of the case's main article.
Lawsuits against US States
- Sinnok v. Alaska
- Martinez v. Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
- Reynolds v. Florida
- Turner v. North Carolina Environmental Management Commission
- Aji P. v. Washington
- Kain v. Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- Chernaik v. Brown
- "Mission". Our Children's Trust. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- Powell, Andrea. "Meet the Kids Trying to Put the Government on Trial for Its Climate Policies". Pacific Standard. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "Our Children's Trust Climate Case Delay – Eugene Weekly". Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "Our Children's Trust Case Still Delayed, May Be Appealed – Eugene Weekly". Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- "Pending State Actions". Our Children's Trust. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
|This article relating to law in the United States or its constituent jurisdictions is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|