Overlord (2018 film)
|Directed by||Julius Avery|
|Story by||Billy Ray|
|Music by||Jed Kurzel|
|Edited by||Matt Evans|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Overlord is a 2018 American war horror film directed by Julius Avery and written by Billy Ray and Mark L. Smith. The film stars Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Jacob Anderson, Dominic Applewhite, Pilou Asbæk, Iain De Caestecker, John Magaro, Mathilde Ollivier and Bokeem Woodbine. The film was produced by J. J. Abrams, through his Bad Robot Productions banner, and Lindsey Weber. The plot follows several American soldiers who get stuck behind enemy lines after D-Day and discover secret Nazi experiments.
Overlord is scheduled to be released in the United States on November 9, 2018, by Paramount Pictures.
On the eve of D-Day during World War II, American paratroopers are caught behind enemy lines after their plane crashes on a mission to destroy a German Radio Tower in a small town outside of Normandy. After reaching their target, the paratroopers come to realize that besides fighting off Nazi soldiers, they also must face off against horrifying, bloody, and violent creatures that are a result of a secret Nazi experiment.
- Jovan Adepo as Pvt. Boyce
- Wyatt Russell as Cpl. Ford
- Mathilde Ollivier as Chloe
- Pilou Asbæk as Dr. Wafner
- Jacob Anderson as Grady
- Dominic Applewhite as Rosenfeld
- Iain De Caestecker as Chase
- John Magaro as Tibbet
- Bokeem Woodbine as Eldson
- Gianny Taufer as Paul, Chloe’s brother
- Michael Epp
- Éva Magyar as Aunt Simone, Chloe’s aunt
- Trevor Feldman as Pierre
The initial story for the film was conceived by J.J Abrams and screenwriter Billy Ray with Ray penning the script. Paramount acquired the film in 2017 while Mark L. Smith was brought in to polish the script. On February 1, 2017 Bad Robot Productions and Paramount Pictures announced that Julius Avery would be directing the film.
On May 17, 2017 it was announced that Wyatt Russell, Jovan Adepo, Jacob Anderson, Dominic Applewhite, Pilou Asbæk, Iain De Caestecker, John Magaro, Mathilde Ollivier, and Bokeem Woodbine would all be starring in the film.
Overlord was originally scheduled to be released on October 26, 2018. However in July 2018, the film was pushed back to November 9, 2018.
Box office projections
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 93% based on 14 reviews, with an average rating of 7.3/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 63 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Film releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "OVERLORD (18)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- "Overlord (2018)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Zack Sharf (July 18, 2018). "'Overlord' First Trailer: J.J. Abrams' Gory World War II Horror Movie Mixes Nazis and the Supernatural". IndieWire. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- Lesnick, Silas (May 17, 2017). "Paramount and Bad Robot Reveal Full Overlord Cast". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Lussier, Germain (February 1, 2017). "J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot Are Making a World War II Zombie Movie". Gizmodo. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Miska, Brad (February 1, 2017). "J.J. Abrams' 'Overlord' Sounds Like "Wolfenstein"!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (February 1, 2017). "Bad Robot's D-Day Movie Overlord Finds Director (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety (magazine). Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (February 1, 2017). "Bad Robot's D-Day Movie 'Overlord' Finds Director (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety (magazine). Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Stephens, David (May 17, 2017). "Bad Robot's Overlord Casts Game of Thrones & S.H.I.E.L.D. Actors". Screen Rant. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- "Cloverfield 4 is a WWII Thriller Called Overlord, and It's Already Done Filming". Slashfilm. 2018-01-29. Retrieved 2018-01-29.
- Lang, Bret (April 25, 2018). "'Overlord' Not 'Cloverfield' Movie, Says J.J. Abrams". Variety (magazine). Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Perry, Spencer (June 19, 2017). "Paramount and Bad Robot's Overlord set for October 2018". Comingsoon.net. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Daniels, Nia (May 23, 2017). "Cameras roll on JJ Abrams' Overlord". The Knowledge Online. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 18, 2018). "'Overlord' Moves Out Of October & Marches Into Early November". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 18, 2018). "Illumination-Universal's 'The Grinch' To Steal $50M+ Opening – Early B.O. Forecast". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- "Overlord (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- "Overlord reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 5, 2018.