Parted Magic LLC.
|OS family||Linux (Unix-like)|
|Latest release||2021_05_12 / 12 May 2021|
|Kernel type||Linux (Monolithic)|
Parted Magic is a commercial Linux distribution based on Slackware that comes with disk partitioning and data recovery tools. It is sold as a Linux-based bootable disk. The distribution's nomenclature is derived from the names of the GNU Parted and PartitionMagic software packages.
Although originally designed for mechanical hard disk drives, Parted Magic is suitable for use also with solid state drives and can perform an ATA Secure Erase (a method that is built into the hard drive controller to return the drive into its factory state).
Parted Magic supports reading and writing to a variety of modern file systems, including ext3, ext4, FAT, exFAT, and NTFS, and as such is able to access disk drives formatted for use under Microsoft Windows and Linux systems.
As of version 11.11.11, Parted Magic supports Intel x86 and x86-64 processors natively, and requires a computer with at least an i586 Intel-compatible processor and 175MB of RAM. x86 versions from 2013_09_26 do not require the Physical Address Extension (PAE) computer processor feature.
Up to version 2013.08.01 the distribution was freely available for download from the official website and the project page on SourceForge. The distribution moved to a pay-for-download business model, despite the packaged software being free and open source.
- SystemRescue – completely libre and free-to-download Live CD/USB system rescue disc
- gparted – partition editor included with Parted Magic
- Disk partitioning
- List of disk partitioning software
- "Changelog – Get the latest Parted Magic program updates". Retrieved 14 May 2021.
- Bärwaldt, Erik. "Fixing Disks with Parted Magic". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 31 December 2020.
- Parting is such sweet sorrow – The Optimistic Contributor's review of Parted Magic, LWN.net
- Parted Magic 3.7|linuxsysconfig
- PartedMagic: A Swiss Army Knife for Hard Drive Resuscitation|Reviews|TechNewsWorld
- "frugal_install – Parted Magic". Partedmagic.com. 17 July 2012. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Parted Magic". Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "start – Parted Magic". Partedmagic.com. Retrieved 24 November 2012.
- "Parted Magic is still free". Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Parted Magic starts charging for downloads". Retrieved 26 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parted Magic.|