Screenshot of Parted Magic in 2014
Parted Magic LLC.
|Latest release||2016_07_12 / July 11, 2016|
|Kernel type||Linux (Monolithic)|
|Default user interface||Openbox|
Parted Magic is a commercial Linux distribution with disk partitioning and data recovery tools, sold as a Linux-based bootable disk. The distribution's nomenclature is derived from the name of the software package GNU Parted.
Although originally designed for mechanical hard disk drives, Parted Magic is suitable for use also with solid state drives and can perform an ATA Secure Erase (a method that is built into the hard drive controller to return the drive into its factory state).
Parted Magic supports reading and writing to a variety of modern file systems, including ext3, ext4, FAT, exFAT, and NTFS, and as such is able to access disk drives formatted for use under Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux systems.
As of version 11.11.11, Parted Magic supports Intel x86 and x86-64 processors natively, and requires a computer with at least an i586 Intel-compatible processor and 175MB of RAM. x86 versions from 2013_09_26 do not require the Physical Address Extension (PAE) computer processor feature.
|This section needs to be updated. (January 2016)|
Up to version 2013.08.01 the distribution was freely available for download from the official website and the project page on SourceForge. The distribution moved to a pay-for-download business model to offset the costs associated with packaging a Linux distribution.
- "Changelog – Parted Magic". Partedmagic.com. 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Shilliday, Barry. "Backup and Restore". Computeractive. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "frugal_install – Parted Magic". Partedmagic.com. 2012-07-17. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Parted Magic". Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- "start – Parted Magic". Partedmagic.com. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- "Changelog – Parted Magic". Partedmagic.com. 2013-09-26. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Parted Magic is still free". Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Parted Magic starts charging for downloads". Retrieved 26 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Parted Magic.|