Patient Zero (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Stefan Ruzowitzky|
|Produced by||Vincent Newman|
|Written by||Mike Le|
|Music by||Michael Wandmacher|
|Edited by||Mark Stevens|
Vincent Newman Entertainment
|Distributed by||Vertical Entertainment|
United Kingdom |
Patient Zero is an upcoming action horror film directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky and written by Mike Le. It stars Matt Smith, Natalie Dormer, Stanley Tucci, Agyness Deyn, and Clive Standen. The plot involves a group of survivors who set out to find an antidote for a highly contagious virus that turns the infected into a ravenous but highly intelligent new species.
After a bidding war between several studios over a script penned by Le, Screen Gems eventually won the rights. Ruzowitzky signed on to direct in May 2014. Casting began in September 2014 and lasted until March 2015. Principal photography began on 3 March 2015 in London, before ending on 18 April.
The film was originally set to be released on 2 September 2016 by Screen Gems, though the film was eventually pushed back to 17 February 2017, until it was removed from the release schedule. The film is scheduled to be released through video-on-demand on 14 August 2018, before a limited theatrical release on 14 September 2018 by Vertical Entertainment.
After an outbreak of a mutated form of rabies that spreads from animals to humans, humanity is losing the war. People who are bitten turn rabid in 90 seconds. Morgan (Matt Smith), was riding in a car with his wife when they were attacked. He was infected, but remained human with the ability to talk with the infected. In order to find an antidote to save humanity, including his infected wife, Morgan and a CDC doctor, along with what is presumed to be the rest of the US military bring in the infected and interrogate them. CDC virologist Dr. Gina Rose (Natalie Dormer), struggles with tensions between herself, Morgan, and Colonel Knox (Clive Standen). It is obvious that Dr. Rose and Col. Knox had some sort of intimate relationship in the past. His jealousy of Dr. Roses budding relationship with Morgan causes hostility. While interrogating an infected, Col. Knox shoots the uncooperative infected killing it. Morgan goes to the restroom to help control his temper. Dr. Rose follows and the two engaged in an intense sex scene. Knox realizes that Dr. Rose has feelings for Morgan and confronts her. Getting closer to finding patient zero, we see Morgan's wife is being held in a cage in the underground base where they are living. She is being treated with an experimental treatment derived from Morgan's blood. In a flashback we learn Morgan wanted to have children with his wife. She never stated she couldn't have any but it alludes that it wasn't going to happen.
The next scene shows Dr. Rose in a bathroom stall with a positive pregnancy test. Bodies of fallen soldiers are brought in to the buildings crematorium. As the soldiers are opening bags and removing dog chains, one of the "dead" opens his eyes and attacks the workers and soldiers. After a fight, he is subdued and asks to speak with the one who can communicate with the infected. Because he can speak and in unaffected by the music that has driven the other infected into a rage, they assume he is patient zero. Morgan begins to interrogate him. He reveals that he was a professor who was teaching a class when the school was attacked by infecteds. He was bitten, but while feeling the urge for violence, he still maintains most of his human abilities. It flashes to him after infection returning to his home and killing his wife and child. He tells Morgan that the infected are evolved humans. A more advanced species who are now top of the food chain. He reveals that he came to the underground base on purpose. Morgan realizes that somehow he has managed to find the base. Using a frequency detector, they find that another of the infected has a transmitter inside his chest. Knowing that now they (the infected) know where they are.
Suddenly the infected show up and get inside killing all the civilian survivors as well as the soldiers fighting against them. Morgan takes off, Dr. Rose and Col. Knox go to a back room. Col. Knox shoots his commander so the infected are slowed down long enough for him and Dr. Rose to make it to the elevator. She grabs his gun and tells him he is a monster for doing that. He tries to tell her he was doing what he had to to save her life. They begin to scuffle and the gun goes off killing Knox. Dr. Rose goes to the cells where the infected are kept knowing that is where Morgan will be. Morgan releases his wife. Dr. Rose pleads with him to leave her since the treatments work but only for a short period of time. He refuses to leave without her. They sneak to her lab and retrieve her samples. They make their way to the ducts and climb. After reaching several stories up they crawl through the vents. Then encounter an infected lab rat. Morgan's wife kills it before it can get to Dr. Rose. They make it to the parking level just under the ground level.
Patient Zero has escaped and explains that he came to the base to find Morgan and kill him. He says that Morgan is their "patient zero" and he is a threat to their survival. They begin to fight and Patient Zero starts calling other infected. The battle ends with Morgan spearing him on a pointy pipe while simultaneously spearing himself through the shoulder. They run to try and get away from the hordes of infected. They make it into a room with a heavy vault like door. Morgan's wife tells them to run, she will buy them some time. She tells Morgan he must leave her to save the baby. She sensed the Dr. Rose was pregnant. Distraught, Morgan realizes she is right and they close the heavy door just in time to stop the horde. Morgan and Dr. Rose follow the tunnel until it comes out in the woods. They walk to the base and find a motorcycle. They ride off into the night with Morgan understanding that he must do whatever it takes for the human race to survive and take care of their baby.
- Matt Smith as Morgan
- Natalie Dormer as Dr. Gina Rose
- Stanley Tucci as The Professor
- Clive Standen as Colonel Knox
- Agyness Deyn as Janet
- John Bradley West as Scooter
- Colin McFarlane as General Pierce
- James Northcote (actor) as Pete Townshend 
The script, initially titled Patient Z, was featured on the 2013 Black List, an annual survey showcasing the "most liked" motion picture screenplays unproduced. Set in a post-apocalyptic world full of zombies, the story follows a man who speaks their language questions the undead in order to find a cure for his infected wife. The screenplay was the subject of a bidding war between several different studios including Fox Searchlight Pictures, Silver Pictures, Davis Entertainment, Broken Road Productions, Donners' Company, Vincent Newman Entertainment and Misher Films. The script is set in a post-apocalyptic world, about a man who has to find an antidote for his zombie infected wife. Screen Gems eventually won the bidding war and Vincent Newman was set to produce through his company Vincent Newman Entertainment. Austrian director Stefan Ruzowitzky was set to direct the film on 2 May 2014. When the screenplay was first sold, the creatures were zombies, though it was eventually removed during subsequent rewrites.
On 24 September 2014, it was announced that Natalie Dormer would join the cast, followed by Matt Smith joining that November. Other roles were announced in early 2015 with Stanley Tucci joining in January John Bradley West  and Clive Standen joining in February. and Agyness Deyn joining in March 
Principal photography on the film began in London on 3 March 2015. From 9 March, filming took place at Shepperton Studios and would also take place in and around London through 18 April 2015. They have also filmed in Welwyn Garden City on 15 March 2015 where a SWAT van and car were seen on set.
In August 2015, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that Patient Zero would be released on 2 September 2016 in the United States. On 28 April 2016, the film was delayed to 17 February 2017. In January 2017, the film was removed from the release schedule. The film is scheduled to be released through video on demand on 14 August 2018, before receiving a limited theatrical release on 14 September 2018, by Vertical Entertainment.
The film was promoted at San Diego Comic-Con 2016, which was attended by Smith, Dormer, Standen, Bradley, Ruzowitsky and Le. On 11 July 2015, a rough cut of the film's trailer was screened during the Screen Gems panel. Standen explained that the film's tension centers on the infected thinking they are "the new evolution of mankind" who want to wipe out the human race.
- Hall, Gina (20 November 2014). "'Doctor Who's' Matt Smith to Star in 'Patient Zero'". thewrap.com. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
"Doctor Who" alum Matt Smith will star in "Patient Zero," a Sony spokesperson told TheWrap.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (24 September 2014). "'Game Of Thrones' Natalie Dormer To Star In 'Patient Zero' For Screen Gems". deadline.com. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (22 January 2015). "Stanley Tucci Nabs Villain Role In 'Patient Zero'". deadline.com. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (February 24, 2015). "'Vikings' Actor Clive Standen Joins Thriller 'Patient Zero'". variety.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Lesnick, Silas (9 March 2015). "Zombie Pandemic Thriller Patient Zero Begins Production". comingsoon.net. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- Pantozzi, Jill (20 February 2015). "Exclusive: Another Game of Thrones Cast Member Joins Pandemic Thriller Patient Zero". themarysue.com. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Deadline Team, The (17 December 2013). "Black List 2013: Full Screenplay List". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Sneider, Jeff (18 October 2013). "Will Mike Le's Zombie Script 'Patient Z' Be the Next to Bite Off a Major Sale? (Exclusive)". thewrap.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Sneider, Jeff (29 October 2013). "Screen Gems Wins Bidding War for Mike Le's Zombie Script 'Patient Zero' (Exclusive)". thewrap.com. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (2 May 2014). "Screen Gems Sets Stefan Ruzowitzky For Genre Tale 'Patient Zero'". deadline.com. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "On the Set for 3/9/15: Bono Producing 'Waiting for the Miracle to Come', Natalie Dormer Starts Shooting 'Patient Zero' & More". ssninsider.com. 9 March 2015. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Neil Metcalfe. "Welwyn Garden City transformed as stars of Doctor Who and Game of Thrones film Patient Zero". Welwyn Hatfield Times.
- Kroll, Justin (5 August 2015). "Sony Dates 16 Films Including Two More 'Bad Boys' Sequels, 'Jumanji' Remake". variety.com. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Patient Zero (2017) - Box Office Mojo". boxofficemojo.com.
- "Theatrical Movie Schedule Additions and Changes". Box Office Mojo. Archived from the original on 11 February 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- McNary, Dave (12 July 2018). "Matt Smith's 'Patient Zero' Set August Release (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- Rico, Elizabeth (26 July 2015). "SDCC 2015: A tale of two zombie films - PopOptiq". PopOptiq. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Gajewski, Ryan. "Comic-Con: 'Patient Zero' Brings Matt Smith and Natalie Dormer, Debuts First Footage". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 21 July 2018.