August 6, 1938|
Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
|Died||May 13, 2000
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, director, writer|
Paul Bartel (August 6, 1938 – May 13, 2000) was an American actor, writer and director. Bartel was perhaps most known for his 1982 hit black comedy Eating Raoul, which he wrote, starred in and directed.
Life and career
Bartel was born in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Jesse and William Bartel, who was an advertising executive. Bartel was openly gay; this influenced his career choice, as he found himself more accepted and afforded more opportunities within the independent film industry than he would have in Hollywood.
Bartel appeared in over 90 movies and TV episodes, including such titles as Eat My Dust (1976), Hollywood Boulevard, Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979), Get Crazy (1983) and Amazon Women on the Moon (1987). He frequently co-starred with friend and former Warhol girl Mary Woronov; the pair appeared in 17 films together, often as husband-and-wife.
Bartel also directed 11 low-budget films, many of which he also acted in or wrote. His started in 1968 with the short The Secret Cinema, a paranoid delusional fantasy of self-referential cinema. He graduated to features in 1972 with the horror-comedy Private Parts. He would go on to direct such cult films as Death Race 2000 (1975), Eating Raoul (1982), Lust in the Dust (1985) and Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989).
Bartel died May 13, 2000 of a heart attack two weeks after liver cancer surgery; he was 61 years old. His final screen appearance was a posthumous role as "Dad" alongside Mary Woronov ("Mom") in the 2001 independent film Perfect Fit.
The Belgian horror movie Calvaire paid a tribute to the late Bartel – the mad innkeeper character is named "Paul Bartel".
- Progetti (1962) director
- The Secret Cinema (1968) director
- Private Parts (1972) as Man in Park (uncredited); also: director
- Big Bad Mama (1974) as Guest at Fancy Party (uncredited)
- Death Race 2000 (1975) as Frankenstein's Doctor (uncredited); also: director
- Hollywood Boulevard (1976) as Eric von Leppe
- Cannonball! (1976) as Lester Marks; also: writer, director
- Grand Theft Auto (1977) as Groom
- Piranha (1978) as Mr. Dumont
- Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979) as Mr. McGree
- Heartbeeps (1981) as Party Guest
- Eating Raoul (1982) as Paul Bland; also: writer, director
- White Dog (1982) as Cameraman
- Heart Like a Wheel (1983) as Chef Paul
- Get Crazy (1983) as Dr. Carver
- Frankenweenie (1984) as Mr. Walsh
- Not For Publication (1984) writer, director
- Sesame Street Presents Follow That Bird (1985) as a cook in the Grouch diner
- Into the Night (1985) as Beverly Wilshire Hotel Doorman
- Lust in the Dust (1985) director
- European Vacation (1985) as Mr. Froeger
- Killer Party (1986) as Professor Zito
- Chopping Mall (1986) as Paul Bland
- The Longshot (1986) director
- Munchies (1987) as Dr. Crowder
- Amazon Women on the Moon (1987) as Doctor, in "Reckless Youth" segment
- Baja Oklahoma (1987)
- Shakedown (1988) as Night Court Judge
- Caddyshack II (1988) as Mr. Jamison
- Out of the Dark (1989) as Hotel Clerk; also: executive producer
- Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989) as Dr. Mo Van De Kamp; also: writer, director
- Far Out Man (1990) as Weebee Cool
- Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990) as Theatre Manager
- The Pope Must Die (1991) as Monsignor Fitchie
- The Living End (1992) as Twister Master
- Desire and Hell at Sunset Motel (1992) as The Manager
- Posse (1993) as Mayor Bigwood
- Shelf Life (1993) director
- Tales of the City (1993) as Charles Hillary Lord
- The Jerky Boys (1995) as Host at Tut's
- The Usual Suspects (1995) .... as Smuggler
- Love Can Build a Bridge (1995)
- Red Ribbon Blues (1996) as Fred the Pharmacist
- Joe's Apartment (1996) as NEA Scout
- Escape from L.A. (1996) as Congressman
- Basquiat (1996) as Henry Geldzahler
- Lewis and Clark and George (1997) as Cop
- The Inheritance (1997)
- The Devil's Child (1997)
- Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss (1998) as Rex Webster
- More Tales of the City (1998) as Charles Hillary Lord
- Hamlet (2000) as Osric
- Perfect Fit (2001) as Dad