Pembrey and Burry Port railway station
|Pembrey and Burry Port|
|Welsh: Pen-bre a Phorth Tywyn|
|Managed by||Transport for Wales|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Pembrey and Burry Port from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Pembrey and Burry Port railway station is a railway station on the West Wales line serving Pembrey and Burry Port, in Carmarthenshire, Wales. It was opened by the broad gauge South Wales Railway on 11 October 1852 when that company extended its route from Landore (Swansea) to Carmarthen. It is adjacent to Burry Port's main shopping area. Pembrey is situated 1.5 miles to the west.
In the other direction there is an hourly service to Carmarthen, running either non-stop or stopping at Kidwelly and Ferryside, with a two-hourly extension to Milford Haven via Whitland and Haverfordwest.
All of these services are operated by Transport for Wales.
Great Western Railway operate one daily service between Carmarthen and London Paddington (to London in the morning & back in the evening Mon-Sat). This saves having to travel to Swansea and change trains. On summer Saturdays an extra service runs through to Pembroke Dock. This service departs London Paddington at 08:45 and arrives at Pembroke Dock at 14:14. On Sundays, a more frequent service operates (three trains each way from early afternoon).
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Llanelli||Transport for Wales
West Wales line
|Kidwelly or Carmarthen|
|Llanelli||Great Western Railway
London - Carmarthen
- Quick, M. Railway Passenger Stations in Great Britain - A Chronology. Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society, 2009
- Barrie, D.S.M. A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain, Vol.12 South Wales. Newton Abbott: David and Charles, 1980, p.39.
- Body, G. PSL Field Guide - Railways of the Western Region, Cambridge: Patrick Stephens, 1983, p. 148.
- Simmons, J. and Biddle, G. (eds) The Oxford Companion to British Railway History. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997, p.461
- Kay, P. Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland. Wallasey: Signalling Record Society, 2010, p.25.
- GB eNRT 2018-19 Edition, Table 128
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pembrey and Burry Port railway station.|