|Country||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Time zone||AST (UTC−4)|
|Area code(s)||+1 (868)-647|
Penal is a town in south Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago. It lies south of San Fernando, Princes Town, and Debe, and north of Moruga and Siparia. It was originally a rice and cocoa producing area but is now a rapidly expanding and developing town. The population is 12,281.
The heart of Penal contains many businesses while the outskirts focus on agricultural development. Penal has a police station, branches of three banks (Scotiabank, Republic Bank and First Citizens Bank) health facilities, photo studios, fast food restaurants, service stations, restaurants, and clothing stores.
Penal plays a major role in the energy supply to the nation's populace. Petrotrin, the national oil company, has a major sub-unit in Clarke Road and the National Gas Company has gas lines running through Penal that links the gas fields of the South East Coast and the industrial estates. One of the countries three major power generating plants owned by Powergen Ltd is located at Syne Village to the west of Penal.
Penal is administered by the Penal-Debe Regional Corporation.
Notable persons from or born in the community:
- Kamla Persad-Bissessar – seventh Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago and first women and first Indian women Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago
- Mark Jones Richardson – radio host of Online Pirate Radio and web vlogger
- Bhagwan R. Singh – radio host of Sangeet Mala on WHSR in South Florida, United States
- Drupatee Ramgoonai – Chutney and Chutney Soca singer
- David Williams – cricketer