Peter N. T. Wells
|Born||Peter Neil Temple Wells
1936 (age 80–81)
|Died||April 22, 2017|
Peter Neil Temple Wells CBE DSc FMedSci FREng FIET FInstP FLSW FRS (1936 in Bristol, England – 2017) was a British medical physicist who played a major role in the application of ultrasound technology in medicine.
Career and research
Wells has made a number of notable contributions to the application of engineering and physics in medicine. He is the originator and developer of instruments for ultrasonic surgery and ultrasonic power measurement, as well as the two-dimensional, articulated-arm ultrasonic general purpose scanner and the water-immersion ultrasonic breast scanner.
He demonstrated ultrasonic-pulsed Doppler range gating, and was the discoverer of the ultrasonic Doppler signal characteristic of malignant tumour neovascularisation. He investigated ultrasonic bioeffects and formulated ultrasonic safety guidelines and conditions for prudent use of ultrasonic diagnosis.
Wells has led multidisciplinary studies of ultrasonic diagnosis and made major contributions to the advancement of light transmission, electrical impedance and nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, as well as to interventional telepresence. He also proposed a novel philosophy of medical imaging. More recently, he has been developing ultrasonic Doppler and phase-insensitive tomography.
Honours and awards
- 1983 Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- 2003 Fellow of the Royal Society
- 2006 Duddell Medal and Prize
- 2009 Appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2009 New Year Honours.
- Founding Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales
- 2013 Royal Medal from the Royal Society 
- 2014 Sir Frank Whittle Medal
- "List of Fellows". raeng.org.uk. London: Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Anon (2003). "Professor Peter Wells CBE FMedSci FREng FRS". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 2015-11-17. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived September 25, 2015)
- Professor Peter Wells CBE (1936 – 2017)
- "Wells Biography at obstetric ultrasound website". ob-ultrasound.net.
- WELLS, Prof. Peter Neil Temple. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2004 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- "Duddell award winners". iop.org. Institute of Physics.
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 8.
- "Royal Medal". Royal Society. Retrieved 2013-09-12.